MIL Accord: Go to boot camp already.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Insdav3, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

2. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

HAHAHAHAH

:bowdown:

3. Accord

Accord New Member

:rofl:

If I shipped off right now i'd probably spend 2 months in PCP.:o.

When I depped in about a month and a half ago or so, I couldn't even pass the IST but right now i'm just barely passing (third class PFT score FTL), by the time I ship off i''ll definitely have a first class PFT at the rate i'm going now.

4. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Why would you be in PCP right now? Are you too fat?

5. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm good to go as far as weight and BF%, but since i'm just borderline passing the IST there's a good chance I might not pass it in the enviroment of receiving in that first week and would go straight to PCP. I'd rather show up to boot camp already in shape then go in just barely passing the minimum requirements with the attitude that boot camp will get me in shape.

6. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I went into boot camp in shape and came out- out of shape & sick :mamoru:

All the fat-bodies got skinny though.

7. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Just think of it... the sooner you get in and get it over with, the sooner you can be up for promotion and have time to get in shape & high pft from pfc- lpcl. If I was going fleet I would start it as soon as possible.

What are you doing in the meantime while you're waiting?

8. Accord

Accord New Member

I've heard so many horror stories where if you don't have a first class PFT in the fleet then everyone considers you a shitbird, etc. and it's 10 times worse in the infantry where anything less than a first class PFT is inexcusable, so that's made me lean towards what i'm doing now where I get in shape before shipping. I can't imagine what they do to guys that fall out of a run or something, I don't want to be that guy.

Realistically though, if someone goes into boot camp just BARELY passing the IST, what do you think their PFT score would be at the end of boot?

Right now i'm just taking a couple classes and PT'ing hard everyday.

9. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

your body will be broken either way. You have 3 months of boot camp and another (correct me if i'm wrong) 3 months at SOI.

10. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Supply admin ftw

11. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

maybe the grunts are that way. but im in PMO, and we really dont give a fuck. of course we generaly have the worse pft scores anyways. its kinda hard not too when we work around 14 hours a day. who wants to go run after that?

12. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

That depends on the person and their dedication and motivation.

and how much they like teh pain :o

13. Socrates

Socrates New Member

If you can barely pass the IST, you'll do fine. No matter how much you push yourself right now, a DI can make you push a lot more. The whole time you're running on the PFT course you'll have DI's running with you motivating you.

But on your question of if going to boot camp barely passing the IST and their PFT results at the end, well that depends. Your run time won't increase a ton (I went in running a 26-minute 3-mile and came out running a 23-minute 3-mile. That is a big help because they teach you to never walk even when youre tired, and my time is still improving each week now that i'm home.). You'll be doing 100 situps by the time you get to SOI. At the start of SOI, our platoon of like 95 Marines, had only like 5 people not make 100 situps, and they were like in the 90's.

Now pullups is a different story. You can be a shitbird like I was (when it came to PT) and never try to get better on your own. I saw some people go in doing 10 pullups, and come out doing 20. I saw some guys go in doing 20, and come out doing 10.

What I did, which I wish so much I could take back, is never take the iniative to go do pullups on my own, and even when we had group PT, I would slack off when I could if the DI's weren't looking. (Got caught a lot though, the DI's catch damn near everything.)

If you put out 100% in boot camp, and put out in SOI, by the end of SOI you could have a 300 PFT.

That part about being regarded as a shitbird in the fleet is a load of shit though. Even in SOI, our section leader had the worst PFT in the company but he was a great leader. It's all about taking the initiative and volunteering.

In my opinion, being a guide or squad leader isn't worth all the bullshit they have to go through. Sometimes they don't even get promoted at the end of boot camp, and they get smoked too damn much.

14. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

15. Capitals

Capitals Guest

I vote we get Accord banned until his ship date.

16. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Aye!

17. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I second that.

18. Accord

Accord New Member

Thanks for the info and advice :bigthumb:.

I mean, I can't imagine everyone that steps off the bus is an automatic PT stud. I'm really dedicated to increasing my pullups, i'm doing max sets of situps on almost a daily basis now and i've been on the Armstrong Pullup Program for 2 weeks so I think that by the time I do ship off, i'll be fine in both of those areas. I'm definitely going to put out 100%, I think that my work ethic as far as PT'ing and whatnot goes is a lot better than most people who are already in great shape from all i've had to go through to lose the fuckin 60+ pounds and I know what it takes.

Even as a guide and squad leader like you said, you'll get smoked more often and go to the pit a lot more, but it can only benefit you in the end though, right? I'm sure once i'm there i'll be trying to avoid it like the plague though :hsd:.

19. Accord

Accord New Member

They got a pullup bar in every squad bay, right? So if you just do like a max set of pullups everynight during the 1 hour of "downtime", you'll be fine?

20. Accord

Accord New Member

:bcr:

21. jung918

jung918 Member

They didn't have a pull up bar in every squadbay when I went. I seriously think you would be exhausted at the end of the day to do them. Also, on that hour downtime you will need to take a shower and get ready for the next day.

22. Accord

Accord New Member

I could bang out a few max sets in under 5 minutes :dunno:.

23. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

As a platoon we made our SDI happy by everyone doing a max set of pullups during our 'square away time'. (like 20-40 min) . No we could not take showers during that time. Yes most squad bays have pullup bars or make-shift bars made out of the plumbing. But accord, seriously you'll be PT'ing so much and doing so many pullups during PT you will piss your pants everytime you see a pullup bar. I remember hanging on the bar for dear life splitting open my hands just because the DI wouldn't let us down :rofl:

24. Capitals

Capitals Guest

he's right. promotions aren't everything, the main things that get you ahead are all a popularity game anyways.

edit: actually it's all a populiarty game. one of our sgts is on PCP but everyone loves him and hes up for a promotion.

25. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

they should just call it the Marines "Airforce" MOS :mamoru: :fawk: