Accidental Plans worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by I'm a Slacker, Feb 26, 2006.

1. I'm a Slacker

I'm a Slacker ASStastic

I have until Wed to buy and extended accidental plan/warranty. 2 yrs for $250.

Covers parts,labor,power surge,cracked screen, spilt beer/coffee and battery replacement.

Notebook purchased was the HP DV4305US $750 after $200 rebate

2. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

i guess it depends on how well you take care of it

3. I'm a Slacker

I'm a Slacker ASStastic

I take good care of my things but i do run this thing pretty long daily and even leave the thing on over night for downloads...thinking battery life might be a little short.

4. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I would definitely go for it on a $2000 laptop. I did that for my powerbook and it has come in handy over the past 3.5 years I have been using it.

I'm not sure it makes much sense for a $750 laptop though. I think I would save the money for a new laptop in a couple of years, and just be careful with it in the meantime.

Plus you might already be covered for some stuff if you bought it with a really good credit card or through renter's/homeowner's insurance. :dunno:

5. Euclid

Euclid New Member

BTW a new battery down the road will probably cost less than $250... Might want to run a price check online.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I used mine once when my screen was gouged. I put it in my bag and the lid was closed but apparently didn't latch. A mechanical pencil carved a nice line in the screen. Called Dell, next day they came to my office (this was my personal laptop, btw) and replaced the panel. No questions, no charge.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

It also probably won't be covered on the extension. Usually batteries are limited to one year no matter what warranty you buy,