GUN accidental discharge stories?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dec_a21, Jun 13, 2007.

1. dec_a21

dec_a21 New Member

anyone have any stories involving accidental discharges, or links to crazy range stories? I usually get a laugh out of some of them

2. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I have a good friend who owns a ranch. He lets us come out there and hunt game during season, and practice shooting somewhere without range fees. Well, one day (I wasn't there, I was told this story), a friend of ours went out there and was hanging out in the house. He picked up a Glock .40 and was taking a look at it. Pulled the magazine out and felt the trigger pull. Well, there was in fact a round in the chamber, and it hit the wall 3 inches from an 80 year old window. The ranch owner looked over, in disbelief of what just happened. The other guy stood there with a look on his face, set the gun down on a table, and didn't say a word. The ranch owner and him had a long talk about gun safety. It hasn't ever happened again.

The only other story I know of, from when I was at a local range. I had my SKS out, and was sighting in my new sights. Another guy two spots down also had an SKS. All of the sudden, I heard 3 rounds go off in rapid succession. The range quieted down enough to hear him say, "holy shit"! I unloaded my rifle and walked over, because the only other people were on the pistol range. Turns out, he had bought a crated one, and never really bothered to clean the cosmolene out of the bolt, and it slam-fired. I told him he should strip the thing all the way down and clean it out. I'm hoping he obliged.

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Had a guy in the lane next to me shooting his custom Hammerli at about 20 yards, he was doing pretty good until he shot the ceiling right above where he was standing. Then he just looked at me and smiled so I moved a couple lanes over.

Not really an ND but the local indoor range rented a group of kids who probably just turned 18 an SKS, they couldnt hit the target to save their life, they were told twice to stop rapid firing, and ended up hitting the target hanger showering me and two other shooters with fragments. One of the other shooters actually thought it was one of his rounds that went off as he was loading it into the mag, it took a while for us to realize it was them and by that time they had bolted leaving the hanger swinging with its target on the ground. This was the same range that rented someone a mosin and they promptly fired it straight up punching through the armor plates. You can still go to that lane, look up and see blue sky.

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

I over heard a nasty one at a USPSA match recently but I didn't catch all the details...

A guy was practicing for IPSC, had an ND while holstering and put a round through his thigh. Thats bad enough on its own, but... the real nasty part is that before entering his thigh the bullet went through the cell phone in his pocket and apparently blew a plethora of bits and pieces of plastic, LCD screen, and battery into the wound channel.

5. dec_a21

dec_a21 New Member

there used to be a thread on ar15.com about crazy shit ppl had seen at the range but i cant find it.

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

That fucking sucks.

7. dec_a21

dec_a21 New Member

8. soccaian

soccaian New Member

my exgf from highschool almost shot me in the foot while letting the hammer down on a 30-30 while we were out hunting (no wonder we didnt see a deer all damn day :mad: )

the only time i've had it happen to me was at the range one day getting ready to leave, i thought i had cleared my pistol... pointed it down range and pulled the trigger. much to my surprise, it fired. good thing i wasnt stupid about it

9. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

The classic is when someone goes to unload the gun. They rack the slide, round pops out, they drop the mag, pull the trigger....BANG!

10. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

NDs happen to both beginner shooter, and pros. Maintain positive control of the gun, and have muzzle awareness.