Access denied...?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheShocker, Sep 15, 2005.

1. TheShocker

TheShocker New Member

This all started when my computer was shutting down at random times when I was in windows...at first I thought it was my GPU because it was just shutting down when I was playing games... but I no longer think this because it started shutting down when I was just in windows.

Anyway so my friend and I started working on it...we thought it was the mild overclock we put on a few weeks earlier. However, my temps were normal and it passed the stress tests we did on it through the BIOS...So we changed the settings back to stock. No luck. Problem not solved. In fact, now we can't stay in windows for more than a couple seconds before it re-boots.

So we decided to install another HD and put a fresh install of XP Pro on it (this is drive C). The system runs fine on this HD!! So we beleive the problem was either in XP or it's a bad HD.

So we want to reformat my suspect HD. This drive has partitions G and H. But first I want to back up my files. For some reason, I can only access my files off of one partition (drive H). The other partition (drive G) which is the one with the suspect XP Pro installed on it, gives me an "Access denied" error when I navigate to anything FARTHER THAN "G:\Documents and Settings\TheShocker".

We cannot move the files using an MS DOS prompt either.

How can I move these files?

2. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Short answer? Dll unlocker. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. Do a search. Dude on here gave me that tip and it help wonders with an access denied problem I was having.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

It sounds like its an NTFS partition and you made your profile private. You need to take ownership of the folder and reset permissions on it (and all child objects) giving yourself full control.

4. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Could be as simple as taking ownership of the directory like ColdBrew said.

Worst case scenario you could use a Knoppix CD to copy the files off.

5. Spaawn7

Spaawn7 New Member

Knoppix doesn't come with Captive-NTFS.

6. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

I'll admit I've never used or played around with Captive-NTFS but from what I just read it's an open source progect that appears to enhance the manner in which Windows writes to NTFS volumes.

If he had enough knowledge to use Captive-NTFS on his computer he damn well better be able to figure out how to get the files off it.