abs cramping, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SteveO, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveO

SteveO Guest

this problem has been going on for about 6 months, usually with high rep ab work my abs will start to cramp (usually the lower ones). Has anyone heard of a problem like this before, or know what might possibly be wrong? No other body part is cramping, just abs. This is very critical that I find out this problem, fire fighter agility test in a couple months away and I need to get ready for it (45 situps in 2 minutes - not hard, but if I get a cramp it won't be completed) It mainly happens when I stand up after the crunches, leg raises, etc.

Supplements:
    Whey
    Multivit
    Hawthorne berry
    Glucosamine
    Calcium

2. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

is this after ab workouts every single time? or only after you've been training abs hard for a week straight then they start cramping?

maybe just take a break from ab work at all, honestly you'll have no problem busting out 45 situps in 2 mintes.

3. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

just some potasium maybee?

4. SteveO

SteveO Guest

I eat a banana or 2 a day and lots of greens. Shouldn't be an issue. It happens when I do high rep ab work, that's all. I only train them maybe once or twice a week

5. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

(This is totally unscientific and probably completely wrong) Train them more a bit more to try to isolate the problem with specific exercise and movement....

Maybe you're standing up wrong?

6. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

possibly stop doing highrep work, do chain leg raises, or bar situps, and some side bends and landmines for obliques.

7. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

train your abs twice a month with moderate weight an low rep, or just use core excersises to get th job done. I dont even waste my time with them unless im shaping them for a show

8. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

squats and deadlifts

9. you're pregnant.

10. SteveO

SteveO Guest

you're missing the point though, I have a test of high rep work and I want to be able to do it. They are all connected together (the chins, situps, pushups, 1.5 miles, etc). If my abs were to cramp during this time it would more than likely screw up my time

11. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Possibly not enough oxygen to the muscles? Make sure your breathing technique is right, try something which increases oxygen flow to the muscles (green tea extract? ginseng?).

12. SteveO

SteveO Guest

I take plenty of green tea and many other antioxidants, shouldn't be an issue either.. I'll check my breathing next time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.