About to read Dune.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Joe_Cool, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I'm about to start reading Dune for the first time. The reason I finally got around to reading it is that I found a 1965 paperback in the bargain bin at a local used book store, for $1. :big grin: I like having old books, even if they're paperback.

I expect it to be good based on what everybody says, but to be honest I'm a bit wary because I saw the movie. :ugh:

2. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

This will leave the movie in the dust. If you remember the movie really well you'll probably go :uh: "that's what they were trying to do/show." :rofl:

3. storm

storm hi

this series is awesome.
    this is what brought me into the world of reading.
    the mind games, the trickery (is this a word? lol), deceit, descriptions, types of things and houses.....everything is so well described. it is an awesome book w/ plot w/in plot w/in plot.

4. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

the book is fantastic... ive read it twice in the last 6 months. :bigok:

the following 2 books (dune messiah & children of dune) are really really interesting, but i found them slightly hard to read. :dunno: i just found i couldnt concentrate for some reason... i'm blaming it on myself rather than the book though. :sad2:

the following books after that (god emperor of dune, heretics of dune & chapter house dune) are pretty awesome as well... if youre like me, you need to give yourself time to really absorb the story though...

you'll like Dune. :x:

5. Joe_Cool

Right on. :) Now I can't wait to dig in.

6. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

:cool:

the 1st book was the best by far.

the 2nd two just seemed to be "Sell out" style books and didn't offer too much more to the universe that what was in the 1st book, but did have a few of it's moments. for some reason I could NOT finish god-emperor of dune. I just could not get into it as it seemed to have lost the "Feel" that the 1st book(s) had which drew me into them.

7. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Great books!
    They really pick up towards the end, but the whole thing is good and DEEPLY developed. I got to God Emporer and it kicked my ass to wrap my head around that one and I stopped. I'll pick it up again one day. Several more books in the series.

8. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

The Sci Fi channel mini-series/movies were pretty good. They blur through some stuff, there's no way to cover it all, but over all they did a good job. The 2 series cover the first 3 books.

Chevere:2nd book.

9. Joe_Cool

I'm up to the part where Paul realizes he's the muad'dib. I'm pissed that the Duke died, but I was still mad that Dr. Yueh was killed. WTF? You're supposed to hate the traitor, not feel sorry for him. :rant2:

10. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

:big grin: that's one of the reasons I loved the first book. it made me feel sorry for a character that traditionally I'd hate in plots.

11. Joe_Cool

He was only reunited with her in the sense that they were both murdered. :dunno: Not a very happy end.

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I think the hardest thing to overcome in this series is wanting to get attached to a charactor. In most, you follow a charator, and stay with them or they get slowly phased out. Dune jumps and abandons charactors that you like. Makes it hard to get into a new book after the last. That's part of the trouble I had with God Emperor and made it hard to get into.

13. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

the thing about God Emperor is that you're not sure who to like... Leto's character is both good & evil at the same time... likewise with Siona, Noree & even Idaho. The lack of a definitive 'hero' or 'good' character makes it a struggle to associate with & wrap your head around IMO.

just a thought... :dunno:

14. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Yep, that's pretty much how I felt. I like movies with no good guy, but a book like that is somehow different. The whole series is like that from the start almost, or at least the 2nd book, but not so drastic. The time passage between books was REALLY out there.

15. Joe_Cool

Ok, I just finished it. Really, really good book. I feel bad for Irulan, though. :wtc:

Are Dune Messiah and Children of Dune any good? Or should I just stop after the first one, Matrix-style?

16. Joe_Cool

Nope. She's his figurehead wife, who doesn't even get the benefits of a concubine. Jessica was telling Chani... Well, let me quote it.

Pretty harsh.

17. Joe_Cool

Well, I couldn't take good advice. I ran across Dune Messiah and Children of Dune at a used bookstore, so I bought them. :o

But I also found The Regulators from Stephen King aka Richard Bachman, and I'm reading that first, as soon as I finish "Herbert West - Reanimator" by H.P. Lovecraft. :big grin:

18. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I didn't even know Reanimator was a book, pretty cool. Cult classic movie. Table scene with the chick is completely twisted. :rofl:

You should read those Dune books. They're still good and the story is interesting.

19. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

she turns into a fucking bitch in the next book... she deserves to be treated like a whore-bag.

20. SeanVR4

SeanVR4 Guest

i LOVE dune.

21. MBC

MBC Guest

best book series ever

22. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

so, Joe, what did you think? :x:

23. Joe_Cool

I loved it. I bought Children of Dune and Dune Messiah, but haven't read them yet (I'm in the middle of the Iliad now). But Dune was one of the best sci fi books I've ever read. :bigthumb:

24. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

25. dragonlance231

dragonlance231 New Member

ahahhaa BENE GESSERIT! AHAHA WOOHOO!!!
    lol, i wish i had glowing blue spice eyes