about to pull a trigger on a new comp build

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lstrk, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Lstrk

Lstrk Like a picture set on freeze frame..

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

your linky no worky.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

if it was me, I'd dump the Thermaltake PSU for one from OCZ or PC Power & Cooling, switch from the E6750 to the Q6600 and dump the samsung hard drive for a seagate.

5. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I agree with all of this, except the processor. I went with the Q6600, but different processors are better for different things. Research each one and pick the one you feel is best for you.

6. Lstrk

k fixed for seagate

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

1.) I never liked that case.
    When you install that motherboard, the 8-pin CPU connector and the 24-pin ATX connector will be at the top area.
    Since the PSU is at the bottom, the cables will cross the entire board.
    Make sure the PSU you will get has long ass cables.

2.) That Gigabyte board has an 8-pin CPU power connector. That Thermaltake PSU only has a 4-pin. If you are getting the Quad as Jajae suggests,... definitely get a PSU with an 8-pin.

3.) If you can,... get the 8800GTS instead. The difference is huge.

8. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I'm not suggesting the Quad. I'm saying I chose the quad, however, he should research and see if it's worth it for him. Also, I'd recommend getting a SATA DVD Burner over an IDE one.

9. Mugen Yarrr

Mugen Yarrr New Member

That case is good. Some other good ones that still look classy and cool good are the Thermaltake Tsunami (my case, and it's wonderful) and well crap, I can't remember the names of the other cases I've used.

Abit IP35 Pro Pretty much > that Gigabyte. Of course, that is if you're will to shell out the slightly extra amount of money.

That GPU is fine if it fits your needs. The 8800GTS 320 is less than $100 more and will provide at least 2-3 times the performance in most games, maybe more in some. IMO the 640 is over priced and the GTX and Ultra have no competition so they're still costing a shit load, lol.

For the PSU, I would suggest something by Fortron. Great quality, decent price. Never heard anything bad from them. OCZ, I would stay away. They have terrible customer service, and if you do end up needing it, you'll hate them. Thermaltake makes good PSUs, but only the toughpower line. The other lines blow, really. Also, don't worry about 4 pin or 8 pin CPU plugs, it does the EXACT same thing, the 8 pin is just the new ATX spec, but it IS backwards compatible. I've seen people even have to cut the new 8 pin ones because their mobo was 4 pin, and guess what, it still worked.

The E6750 is GREAT. If you OC, you'll love it. I've already played with one (my friends) and mine comes in tomorrow. You won't be disapointed, and at this point, it's not worth spending the extra money on the Q6600, because you simply don't need it. With the Crucial RAM below and the right motherboard, (the gigabyte or abit I sugested would do fine), you'll easily hit 3.2 with stock cooling. Aftermarket, I'm hoping to hit 3.8 ;)

Crucial Ballistix
    Pretty much > that XMS2. Basically, this stuff will EASILY hit DDR2-1066 speeds, and it's much higher quality (I usually like corsair, but they cheaped out on their RAM chips this time).

And here's the deal with Seagate, they're good, but they are LOUD AS FUCK and some of the hottest HDDs you can find. Don't know which Samsung drive you picked out, but I've had great luck with them. The absolute best HDD you can get is Western Digital. They run cool and don't make a sound. The Seagate's are a bit faster (chances are good you won't even notice it), but aren't worth the annoyingness.

One more thing: Get a SATA DVD burner, it's worth the extra $5. It's so much easier working on a PC without those big ass IDE cables, not to mention better airflow to boot!

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

My bad. It was dan513 who suggested it.

11. Lstrk

if i go with the sonata 3, i can budget in a 8800gts lol

12. Lstrk

ok ill look into a sata dvd burner and doesnt ballistix cost more?

13. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

It will work as long as the 4-pin cable can provide enough juice to the CPU.

It's the same voltage, but using an 8-pin will double the total amps.
    CPUs with high TDPs will need this.

BTW,... OCZ bought PC Power & Cooling 2-3 months ago.
    Let's see how that affects OCZ's customer support.

14. CodsterTX

CodsterTX OT Supporter

not bad, dont listen to them about the processor. The gaming industry has barely caught up to dual cores. A faster dual core will benefit you more in games than a slower quad core. If you have a little bit more money the e6850 has 2 3Ghz cores which is insanly fast. As fast as the $1,000 extremes.

15. Lstrk

pulled the trigger

16. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

17. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

well,.. from what I heard, it's just like putting OCZ badges to PCP&C PSUs, then those will be sold as OCZ's high end models.

The current OCZ PSUs are made by Fortron Source.