About to order these, thoughts?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Why not just get the cable modem through your ISP?

3. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

I have both of those exact models, good setup.

Rob I purchased my modem instead of renting through Comcast, dunno if they have an option to buy it for any special deal.

4. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I thought about doing that but a lot of people recommended just buying the modem. For what the company (Insight) wants to charge us per month for the modem, this one will pay for itself in like 6 months. I also figured I could buy a better quality modem than what they would provide, but I may give them a call later this week and see what modem they rent out.

5. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

How hard is it to setup? I'm going to have my desktop, the girlfriends laptop and a PS2 running off it. I also heard not to install the software/drivers that come with it and to get the updates ones, can those be had from their website?

6. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Only takes a couple minutes honestly, didn't have any drivers to install unless you hook it up USB.

The most config will be on the router and making sure you secure it properly. I had mine done in probably ten minutes but I do this stuff all the time so it might take a bit longer if you haven't before.

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

:cool:

Now that I think about it, back when I had cable there was a $10 or so fee per month to rent the modem. But that was when cable modems were about $300 new. :o

8. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

yeah those are two solid purchases
    the surfboard pwns I have had my same one for like 5-6years
    and it works without an issue

and the linksys routers are pretty solid, although everyone is going to have their own opinion on what wireless router is the best

9. jvblackxj

jvblackxj Guest

I recommend Linksys to all my residential and small business clients. Do not use any of the software that comes with the Router. Once you get everything plugged in. unplug the power to the cable modem (modem needs to be registered with ISP) for 30 sec then plug the power back in. to configure your router, open an Internet explorer page or other browser. Type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and hit enter. The default Username is blank (and always will be). The Default password is 'admin' without single quotes. I would change the password to something you will remember. The rest of the configuration is fairly user or ISP specific. If you need further help PM me.

Jason V

10. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Thanks man I'll keep you in mind when I hook these up next weekend.