A&P about to make first lighting purchases

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pantheR, Feb 7, 2010.

1. pantheR

pantheR New Member

ready to order the following. I'm going to use this stuff for portraits and weddings. I'm also hoping to shoot local bands, models, etc. Any suggestions PLEASE provide since i'm a strobist novice

AlienBees B800 Flash Unit

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][SIZE=-1]Foldable Large Octabox (47") with speedring attached[/SIZE][/FONT] ( link )

2 Impact 9.5' Light Stands ( link )
    One for the B800 and one for my 430EX II flash

Umbrella for 430EX II:
    43" Westcott Umbrella - White Satin, Removable Black Cover, Collapsible

Should I go 60" umbrella? The octobox is pretty dam big so I was thinking a smaller umbrella would be fine.

thanks!

2. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

43" should be plenty, 60" is HUGE. I use 2 43" and it still lights up the entire frame.
    I'd invest in some better light stands. Impact is pretty low quality, and you'll find mounting a large octobox to it will be laughable.

As for weights for the stands, i recommend fitness ankle weights

3. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I have a couple Lumopro 9ft stands and those impact stands look a little better. Mine work great, but the legs look like they make a wider base on the impact ones.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I just bought that exact stand and it is not top quality but not bad either. My AB comes in on Monday.

I'm also going to use a 60" umbrella as I figured it would be better for groups.