About to hit Checkout at the Apple Store, a few questions first! v. helpamacnoob

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nashstradamus, Mar 2, 2005.

1. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

[​IMG]

This is with my education discount:

This cart qualifies for Free Shipping
    Cart Items Quantity Item Price Item Total
    iWork '05 Academic - DVD
    Part Number: M9611Z/A
    Estimated Ship: 1-3 business days
    $49.00

PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz SuperDrive
    Part Number: Z0BB
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    768MB DDR333 (256MB built-in + 512MB SO-DIMM)
    AirPort Extreme Card
    Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    100GB Ultra ATA drive @5400rpm
    Estimated Ship: 1-3 business days
    $1,657.00

A few questions I hope you guys can help me answer. I'm gonna go to the Apple Store tommorow to check this baby out. I also have to order online to get the 100 gb harddrive.

1. Is there anything I would not be able to do with this thing? I am using it for the rest of college (1.5 years) and probably at least 3 years after that. I would like to get into design/graphics and would probably use some more taxing applications, but it would be used for mostly iApps and basic shit for the next year or two.
    2. I am keeping my sweet 18" UltraSharp Dell LCD that I got with my last PC. It has two seperate video connectors so I am assuming it will connect easilly with my powerbook, is there any reason to check into this more?
    3. What does Apple Care cover exactly and what doesn't it cover? I plan on buying this towards the end of my initial 1 year that comes with the PB.
    4. Anyone have experience with Apple Credit? I plan on putting about $800.00 down and paying the rest of in full ( with money I already have) to gain some qucik good credit because I am young and basically have none!
    5. How easy is it to use this as a dual monitor with my Dell LCD?
    6. Anything else you guys want to tell me about 12" 1.5 RevD powerbooks!

Much thanks ahead of time for any one that takes time to answer this!
    Thanks guys

2. Rick

Rick New Member

1. It will run more taxing applications (FC Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, etc) just fine. You can even run all those at the same time without much slowdown.
    2. Is the LCD digital or analog? I am assuming digital as most LCD's are. You have mini-DVI on the PowerBook, so you will need to mini-DVI to DVI adapter (it might come with one) to connect it.
    3. AppleCare will cover anything that breaks that isn't the users fault pretty much. It is a must on a laptop. You don't have to get it right away, though. You have a year to decide. I have had great experience with AppleCare.
    4. My friend just bought this same model about 2 weeks ago with no problem. The credit is issued through a 3rd party bank.
    5. Plug it in and the OS will recognize it and configure it for you. It's brain-dead.
    6. You will love this thing. Wish they included the backlit keyboard on it. My brother in law just got a RevD 15" with the backlit keyboard and it is awesome. This is also how I got his old 1Ghz TiBook.

3. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

well your lucky to get his old book, free or did u pay him?

4. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

i applied for the credit and didnt get it, i dont know why maybe i entered it in wrong???

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

It's near impossible to get Apple credit because you are applying for a $25k credit line, not just the price of the computer.

6. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

makes alot more sense now, i guess ill have to borrow money to aquire this sexy laptop