About to Graduate with a BS in Computer Information Systems...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexual Vanilla, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

...and I was wondering...where does one start in finding a career with this degree?

I am currently working part time for a Real Estate development group as the IT Manager, the owner has expressed his interest in keeping me around after I graduate with an increase in pay to around $45,000, but I would be doing more Real Estate stuff (online marketing, etc) than IT stuff. Should I take the offer, or see what else I can come up with? Any advice would be appreciated.
    :bigthumb:

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

My experience has been that current employers will underbid. For some reason employers seem to think that we won't look around or that we're too stupid to know what is standard pay for our industry.

I would suggest you check with your college or universities career placement office. There are usually job listings there and there companies often contact the office looking for qualified personnel.

I would also suggest that before you accept that offer, you look around. Comming out of college, $45k looks like a LOT of money and it might be an excellent offer. However, the only way you will know for sure is if you look around.

Also be sure to consider benefits. Things like 401(k) where the employer will match your contributions are incrediblly powerful for building wealth and should be factored into your choices for employers. My former employer would match dollar for dollar up to 6% of our salaries. That means if I'm making $45k/year, I could contribute up to 15% of my salary (or $6,750) and my employer would throw in an additional $2,700 (6% of $45k) without me doing ANYTHING. I was awesome and I created quite a nice little sum of money in a very short period of time.

Anyways, good luck.

3. Sexual Vanilla

Thanks for the advice, I'll stop by the Career Center Monday. :bigthumb:

As an aside, if you don't mind me asking, what do you guys on here do for a living?

4. HardTech

HardTech hungry

good advice here

With CIS, you can do pretty much anything you want. I have a Masters in IS and I'm doing finance-related work right now, but in my defense it revolves around vendor management in IT at a very large corporation

Shop around and see what you like. If you can find a professional in an area where you're interested, offer them lunch and get their insights about it... what they did well, what they regret, etc.

5. Coottie

I'm back at the Uni working on my second degree, CS this time. First time was Accounting. I graduate in May '07!! WOOT! Can't wait.

Before that I used to work as the CTO for a local oil company. I loved that job and company and would prolly still be working there but they sold it and I got a nice severence package....so I was able to go back to school.

6. Sexual Vanilla

Coottie, what was your range of duties at the oil company?

7. HardTech

HardTech hungry

How old are you, Coottie?

8. Coottie

As CTO I was in charge of everything relating to computers, internet and/or other technology throughout the whole company. I wasn't that interested in phone stuff but that technically was under my control also. The old CTO was moved to a different position and she kinda liked the phone stuff so I let her manage it all for me....thankfully she did.

Right before we sold, we had somewhere around 65 full time employees and numerous contract and parttime employees. For this company, we didn't have a CIO position defined in the charter or bi-laws but the CTO position was the same as the CIO position in most companies.

I'll turn 40 right after I graduate.

9. Sexual Vanilla

I'm a youngin.

10. Pr0Xima

Pr0Xima SPY ZAPPIN MAH SENTRY!

My take on this.

I think it depends on your area and what your getting exposed too at that job. In my area, its more who you know than experence. No one wants to hire college grads w/o any experence(in your situation you may have a upperhand depending on what you work with and handle at your current job). Look around, send some resume's out and see if you can get anything lined up. Find some people in your area that reciently graduated(1 to 2 years). Ask them how their job hunting went. If your area is pretty good about having fresh work(hot spots like DC seem to be saturated), i would say look for other work. If you find most college grads are having problems getting jobs take the offer for pure experence sake. It speaks volumes if your resume has real experence. That and 45k out of college for a BS in a IT field is pretty good.

My area is all in who you know. Took me 2 and half years working phone support for a shitty IT hardware company & apple to get into a good place that offers good exp. I went on countless interviews for companies, did well on them, but always seemed to get looked over. My friend got me in here at a ISP thats owned by the company that owns the weather channel working in their network operations center. So far the experence has been unreal compaired to what I have been used too. I am making far less then you, but the experence I am getting will help me move up in this company and look well on my resume.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  11. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Think it depends on your location and what field you're going into. My first job out of college w/a undergrad in CS in a suburb of Atlanta put me at 53k base + 3.5k Bonus. After a year, I negotiated 65k+5k (20%) after a few months when my performance raise was only 1.5%. This was with a Fortune 500 IT company as well. I'm starting at a new job next week at 75k base w/ a more variable bonus. This is over a total of 16 months out of school. May seem fairly aggressive but a lot of the top new grads are making upwards of 60k with CS, Comp E, EE degrees.

I job shopped in NYC a bit and the base salary up there was only ~80k despite having significantly higher cost of living. I'm up to Software Engineer Lead role but don't plan on jumping again until I've finished my MBA.

I definitely recommend you look around a bit otherwise you run a risk of stunting your job growth.

12. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

just don't move to ohio, you can't find shit for CIS jobs around here.

i'll be getting my bs in cis with networking minor in a couple of years...theres not much available around here, sadly

13. Sexual Vanilla

I really appreciate all of the replies. To be honest, I've been quite worried with regards to job security ever since entering this field of study with fears of outsourcing/poor economy/etc that are running rampant. It's comforting to know that at least some of you seem to be a-ok. :bigthumb:

14. Pr0Xima

Pr0Xima SPY ZAPPIN MAH SENTRY!

Its not all that bad, most of the fucktard jobs get outsourced. I work for a pretty big ISP. When we need modems replaced we have to dial out to india. So anouying, i sat on the phone for 40 min waiting for someone to tell me to call back with more info.

Experence gets you places. Others might say it wil stunt your growth problem is if your are sucks, you fucked anyways. THe market is there, but you sometimes forced to move to hotter areas.:hs:

15. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I work directly with outsourcing, so I'll tell you what I've observed while working here.

If you are smart, you won't get outsourced. Don't worry about that. Companies are looking to outsource maintenance of old legacy applications that use COBOL and shit like that. There are lots of flavors of outsourcing as well; true outsourcing means they send the shit to India and don't worry about spending $80,000 a year for every person who maintains the application.

There's staff augmentation for newer technologies, which means the company brings people from consulting firms (sometimes from India) into the company to work with the regular employees. They usually do this because they need somebody RIGHT NOW and don't want to hire somebody and wait for them to accept the offer, fly out there, get set up, etc. etc. Usually, hiring somebody is cheaper by at least $20 an hour, so they only do this if they have no choice. If you know Java, chances are you'll get hired.

Plus, you can't outsource management to another company. We have a lot of international resources at our company, and NONE of them have anybody below them in terms of management. Even the ones who report directly to the CEO. If you have leadership skills, you aren't going anywhere.