SRS About to graduate from college...no idea what I am going to do

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Milin, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

so I spent 4 years studying economics and japanese. I am about to graduate from college and have no clue what I am doing nor any prospects. I don't feel as if I know enough economics to get a decent job, I tried applying to a teaching program to teach english in japan and got denied. I have another interview in austin, however I am not optimistic right now so I have no idea how that will go.

I basically feel as though my whole time at college was a gigantic waste and im no better off than a highschool graduate is.

I also am having to part out my WRX since it is a giant money pit (it has an upgraded turbo and needs constant attention/tuning) and put it back to stock, and then decide if I am going to keep the WRX or sell it to be reasonable and drive a shitbox for a few years, stuffing the sale price of the WRX in the bank. (thinking maybe a 2.5RS?)

I also am faced with the realization that my choice of majors will net me a max of maybe 60k a year.

I am considering going back, finishing up my pre-dental studies and going ot dental school, but then would my 4 years of studying economics/finance been a huge waste?

I just feel like I wasted my time entirely.

2. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

Studying economics/finance was no waste of time by any means. It will be an asset wherever your career goes.

3. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

I have an econ degree from a top 5 school. Didn't exactly do a good job w/ it and I was very unemployable. My friends who were in the same major mostly went on to law school. They're job hunting now before graduation and will likely make 120k+ starting. Others went straight into ibanking on Wall Street and can pull a six figure bonus after just a couple years. The Japanese have a very big finance industry and bilingual people with solid financial skills can command serious money. This is of course if you managed a very solid GPA.

I on the other hand went back to school and blew 1.5 more years to get a CS bachelors and I hit 60k starting. Nothing compared to them but I should still do ok if I make the right career moves.

I say suck it up and drive a POS for a bit. The car modifying game stops being fun when the car spends more time apart/at the shop than driving. Starting out in the real world with a car that costs you more than you make isn't the best idea.

Also, dental school if you're willing to put up with it has a big reward at the end. 4 day weeks and solid six figures are definitely a big incentive if you can stick out that much more school.

4. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

Is it normal to become intensely depressed your 2nd semester of senoir year in college? Like to the point of completely disrupted sleep schedules..I never know how long I am going to sleep a given night...10-12 hours or just 6. I have completely lost interest in anything sexual and just consistantly feel hopeless. How long does this have to go on for before it becomes a real problem?

5. johan

johan Active Member

I'd say you already have a 'real' problem. Might want to head down to Student Health Services and have a talk with them.

6. cranberries06

cranberries06 New Member

know the feeling...
    i'm about to graduate with an english degree and have no idea what to do..and no i don't want to be a teacher..my mom says law school..and all i want to do is travel around with my friends' band...yeah i gotta get my life together.

7. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

I kinda slacked off in college and had no idea about what I wanted to do (and still dont). I did get a job but I hated it (it wasnt for me) so I quit. Now im aiming to go back to school in the fall to pursue photography, something that I do enjoy. I really did feel like that only thing I learned in college was for social things, nothing academically.

It is kind of weird because my friends now are either in some sort of post graduate school (med school, dental school) or starting their careers based on their majors.