About to drop the hammer on a Flex V. beginner

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by StuDLei, Oct 16, 2009.

1. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

I'm about to pick up this:

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-meguiars-polish-kit.html

Comes with the beloved Meguiars 105 and 205 and 3 cutting pads and 2 finishing pads and 2 free red sealant/wax pads.

I have a few questions.

Do I need to buy a backing plate? It doesn't look like this kit has one but it doesn't mention that you need to buy one(as some of the other machine polishers I've looked at say you do).

I'll be working on a black 350z that I've routinely clayed and waxed. It has light swirls...but ALOT of them.. I'm hoping this will do the trick. I'll be finishing off with Optimum wax as I already have that and some ONR and other items needed for the detail.

What do I need to tape off all when using this machine?

I had some more questions going into this but I'm really tired right now:o

Any other tips? I'll try to take before and afters.

Can I succesfully detail if the temp is around 45 degrees?

Thanks!

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

No, you do not need a backing plate with the 3401 VRG. The backing plate is integrated into the machine as it has a gear on the back of it connected to the drive motor.

As far as what to tape off, I'd cover any window trim, textured plastic, or emblems, and try to stay away from any decals as best you can.

You should be able to detail at 45-degree temps, I'd just keep your pads and product indoors where the temp is 65-70 degrees up until you're ready to start working.

Also when you do an ONR wash right before starting, be sure to use warm (but not hot) water to help warm the panels up a bit. The polish may take a little longer to work in, but it shouldn't be much with the heat generated by the machine.

3. StuDLei

Thanks for your reply man. Can I use the 105 and 205 on my headlights as well? I think the fogginess on my headlights in on the inside, but I would like to at least try if it won't hurt.

4. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Definately will work on the headlights. Use a sealant to 'seal' the headlights, once you have them nice and clear.

Be sure to post pics when you're done so we can all celebrate with you! :bigthumb:

5. StuDLei

Shit man, my headlights look like crap, which sucks considering it's an 04. I'll try, but I'm pretty sure moisture got inside somehow. It's really wierd because if you drag your finger across the headlight the fogginess will go away for a split second where your finger was. I tired buffing it by hand last year with Meguiars scratch x for like 45 minutes and there was no change whatsoever.

6. StuDLei

Shit, saw someone else's thread... now I'm wondering if I should get the flex or the PC7424 or whatever(the new one). Is the flex really that much better?

7. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

I picked up the PC/Meg's kit from AutoGeek and went to town on my black STi. It looks great and was stupid easy to do. I was able to take out everything from light swirls to big ass scratches where my dog slashed the rear quarter panel with her claws while getting out of the backseat one time.

I'm not a machine polishing expert by any means, so i'm not sure which is better. It sounds like the PC would do everything you need and more though.

8. StuDLei

your probably right...i want to know what the advantages of the flex are though??:hsd:

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The Flex 3401 has more power, oscillates at a 50% higher rate and has a forced rotation of 450 rpm. My understanding is the differences are noticable and the Flex corrects almost as fast as a rotary.

10. StuDLei

this was all I needed to hear. Thanks, Scottwax. Goodluck to your son again, btw.

I'll try to gets some before and afters of the Z.

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd: Exactly right.

Though I have yet to handle a 7424XP; I can only base the comparison as to the performance of the Flex vs. the original 7424 since they are what I have and use regularly.

12. StuDLei

Well I just bought the Flex that comes with Meguiars 105 and 205 and some pads/towels etc. Also bought some Opti-seal and some tape(I spent 17 dollars on fucking tape wtf) and 6 more micro fiber towels.

Couple questions while I'm thinking of them.

This kit came with Lake Country pads. Are they good? Reason I ask is they had another kit that was exactly the same but had Meguiars pads...20 bucks more. Not much but I already spent 490.xx:noes:

Also, I'm somewhat cofused as to what I need to tape off. I understand emblems as those could get knocked off or rip the pad, but what else should I tape off? Do headlights need to be taped? When I'm buffing, can I run the buffer over gaps between like the doors/sideofthe car and hood. Hopefully that explains it well enough.

I'll ask more questions as I get them. I'll be practicing on my dad's old buick first before I touch the Z.

I'm planning on starting off with 105 and the orange light cutting pad and then if needed going to 205. Should I start with that or 105 and grey finishing pad?

K...that was really the last one for now;)

13. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

i use the lake country CCS pads with my 7424xp PC and they are very good. I wouldn't worry about taping off plastic headlights but im not a professional. I taped off all the hard rubber trim on my mustang and if i missed some spots mothers back to black is pretty good at taking any residue out. with the flex and PC i think you shouldnt have any problems going over gaps and edges. with a rotary you have to be more careful but its my understanding a PC isnt powerful enough to do damage unless you sit on a gap of course. The flex has more power so you may need to be more careful

14. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

15. BlazinBlazer Guy

I personally prefer the Meg's pads, but the LC CCS are fine too.

You don't need to tape the headlights, just don't go crazy with the polisher on them unless they need it.

As for panel gaps you should be fine going over them, but you shouldn't be polishing across panels anyway. Break the car up into sections and use the panel edges, body lines, etc. as guides. Just work a section at a time with each product until you're happy with the results.

16. StuDLei

17. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Its a little confusing, but its $55 for the whole contraption (both lamps, 6 bulbs, and the stand). The box is also a lot smaller than you think it would be also.

18. Scottwax

Always start with a less aggressive combo first. #205 and a polishing pad, then go up to #105/polishing before #105/cutting.

19. StuDLei

Roger, ty.

How often can you buff a car. Like how many times can you use 105 on a car before you go through the clear coat. From my understanding, you're taking a little bit off the top everytime no?

20. BlazinBlazer Guy

Yes, that's true. And as far as how many times you can compound/heavily polish a vehicle there are a LOT of factors involved in determining that. You'd need to know if the entire vehicle has an OEM finish or if it's been repainted, what was done to it in the past by other detailers (if you've had it detailed before, or if the dealer did any extensive buffing for some reason), and you'd also have to evaluate it with a paint thickness gauge (and know how to interpret the results).

So there's no such thing as a finite answer here; however I'd venture to say it's unlikely you'll be wearing through the finish as long as you keep up on maintenance (realizing that by doing so you won't have to do as much if any heavy polishing again once you've got everything corrected and protected).

21. StuDLei

This is pretty much what I was thinking but I thought I'd ask. Thanks;)

22. Scottwax

Pretty much all such questions can be answered by the same way that 80-year-old pussy smells like...Depends®.

23. BlazinBlazer Guy

And you're saying this based on experience?? Sick bastard....:ugh:

:mamoru:

24. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

He likes my mom whats wrong with that?

25. StuDLei

do you have/carry a paint gauge or whatev to your jobs? Also, this is random, but do you have insurance so in case you fuck someone's car up?? Not that you ever would, just curious:bigthumb: