About to buy a Mini

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jack Imhoff, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

I am about to buy a Mac Mini...my first mac! Couple of things I wanted to run by you guys before I order it. I am thinking about getting the 1.25ghz model with airport/bt installed. I am definately going to get more memory but I want to buy it cheaper somewhere else. I found this place: http://eshop.macsales.com/ that has 512mb sticks for around $50. Has anyone ordered from here before? Are there any other places that anyone has had good luck with?

2nd question: Is there a huge difference between the 1.25ghz and the 1.42ghz model? I don't do much video editing or garage band type stuff. Will I want the extra speed anyway? I don't really need the extra hard drive space because I plan on putting one of my 250gb hard drives into an external enclosure to use for storage.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

I've never heard of those people or know anyone that has done business with them. Try looking them up on resellerratings.com ; I don't know how good the reviews still are, but they used to rock.

I would personally encourage you to pony up the cash to either get Corsair or Crucial (Crucial's site is cool because you can select the computer manufacturer and model and they'll tell you what memory is available that works for the system - great for non-hardware geeks :big grin: ) memory. They're the two best RAM makers out there IMO. I've used their sticks exclusively for years (I used to build a lot of PCs) and have never had an issue with their RAM. I can't speak to the CPU speed part.

Oh, and welcome to the cult. :bigthumb:

3. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

Thanks for the memory advice Vegas.

Anyone else have any advice on the speed?

Thanks

4. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

Wait untill the next gen, of minis. They will have better graphics cards with they'll need to use the core audio/video of quicktime 7. Also, wait so you can get one pre-installed with tiger.

5. m52

m52 I can't believe I ate the whole thing

looks like ill be going mac once they come pre-installed with tiger.... now to decide, which one, imac or powermac.

6. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

When are these coming out?

7. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

i'd get the 1.25Ghz and save the money. i dont recall the price difference off the top of my head, $100?, but 170Mhz is not a significant difference in speed. you wont really notice the speed difference since they have the same speed system bus anyways.

save that $100 and spend it on better ram like whats been mentioned above.

8. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

yeah, I have decided on the 1.25Ghz model with bluetooth/airport.

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

installing memory in the mini isn't the easiest thing to do. it requires you to remove the entire casing (which wasn't meant to be done by the consumer). the speed difference won't be considerable. Also, wait until after April 29th when tiger comes out. definitely worth the wait.

10. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

Yeah, I am going to wait for Tiger. Shoot, that's another week, I don't know if i can wait that long! :noes: