about to buy a bike.. questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mitrong, Sep 20, 2003.

1. mitrong

mitrong so cute

first of all im 21 years old, squeaky clean driving record

the problem is i have to buy this bike without my parents knowing, cuz if theyf ind out they'll literally try to throw it away

so im trying to do financing, insuring myself

my plan rite now is to buy a ninja 250 new and drop like 1200 down

ill ride that for a year or so, and upgrade to a bike later...

as for insurance, i hear a lot of ppl get the minimum liability insurance (only the other persons vehicle is fixed in an accident, my bike would not be fixed) how much would that be a month, in ur opinion if i insured it completely myself

any suggestiosn?

2. rider

rider New Member

where are you located? the state and even the city can make a big difference in terms of insurance. and for some bikes and dealerships, if you finance, they make you get full coverage (for a brand new bike), not just liability. but you'd have to check with your dealer about that.

for reference, i'm in ca, 26, have 2 points on my record, and pay almost $2,500 for full coverage for a year on my brand new yammie R6. it sucks.

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Clean record, motorcycle license, 21y/o should be around $20/month for liability only. When I first got my SV650, Progressive wanted $45/month (with 2-3 speeding tix, 20y/o), went through an independant insurance agent and got the same coverage for $16/month. For a smaller bike w/ no tickets, it should be very cheap.