about to buy a 00 CLK430...any warnings?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by james330i, Mar 3, 2003.

1. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

for the longest time, I was hell bent on getting on new G35C or RX8 but then i spotted an awsome deal for a black CLK430, 2000 model with 25k miles for a mere $32K. Car retails for 35k, but the dealer is desperate to get it off their hands...plus I'm good friends with one of the guys there

Being that I have wanted these cars from day 1 but could never afford it, this CLK has been the only thing on my mind.

however, I am afraid of mainetnace costs. But I think i will be able to buy an exteneded warranty and protect the CLK through 100k miles.

Now, does anybody know of any major defect or problem with 00 CLKs that would end up costing me an arm and a leg to fix??? Is there a good reason not to shell out 30k for this car??

Of course, I will run the usual car fax check and vin number check at the dealer to see if this car is a lemon or not......

2. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

ya everything m3bavaria said is correct.

owing a luxury german car also means paying more to own it. thats just the deal you get into when you buy these cars. BUT with proper maintanence and care, they'll be very good to you. MBs are extremely safe and the engines are wonderful. transmission is beautiful and works very well. don't let anyone try and sway you away from it cause its not manual... the MB automatic is a dream. the 430 is a great engine as well.

bad parts may be that the backseat is cramped.. other than that i'm not really sure what else there could be.

when you get it though, pm me, i'll hook you up on some great info on how to mod that beast into one awesome machine. i work for a mercedes-benz website/forum and know A LOT of people in the biz of modding MBs.

3. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

I say go for it. Nice car :bigthumb:

Wait.........are you gonna sell the BMW to get this????:squint:

4. james330i

no, it's the 98 Integra GSR that's going...nice upgrade eh?

well, i'm not as concerend with regular maintenance as I am with out of warranty costs. Just wondering what are the most prevalent problems with these cars are (i.e. 94-96 maximas all have a tendency for tranny failure after 60k miles)

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF What's happenin' hot stuff?

how much you selling your GSR for :)

6. wnut

wnut Guest

nice ass car....however disregard what anyone has told u.

we raced a stock 1.8t GTI from a standing start and we got SMOKED! i mean WTF?! a little sub 20k econocar beating down a mean german tuned clk430.

7. 01Mcoupe3.2

01Mcoupe3.2 OT Supporter

you must not have pushed the pedal down all the way. :dunno:

I used to drive an 01 CLK, beautifully refined car. If I could brag about one thing overall, it would have to be the brakes. That car could stop on a dime. :drool: Then take off just as fast, primarily from the 60-70 mph range.

8. elysium

elysium Guest

When teh lil' needle is in a red area, shift to 2nd Gear. :o

jk :)

Seriously though, the GTI must have been running like 30psi of boost or something :(

9. The Mercedes is an awesome choice. Repairs are a lot of money, but trust me it will never break down on you.

My family had 2 91 190E's that are still running with 150k miles, and they never once broke down. My mom drives a 96 C220 which she treats like shit (misses oil changes all the time, once she couldnt get an oil change so she put new oil over old oil) and it still runs perfect and it hasnt broken down once.

So repairs may cost a lot, but you will hardly ever need to repair it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2003
  10. wnut

wnut Guest

nope the GTI was brand new (friend's new toy) - the clk430 was my friend's sisters (read => stock, auto, convertible). believe me my friend mashed it to the floor and all we saw was GTI tails. the car does have nice brakes though.

11. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

Reliability and quality from MBenz has gone down since then, sad to say. My friend has a bulletproof ~95 E300 that he rapes on a daily basis, and it keeps comming back for more.

The newer ones... are great, but a bit softer.

12. Coma Black

Coma Black Guest

convertible < hardtop.
    Doh. weight kills

13. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

i like the old gen clk's more than the current....the current design is way too plain. only thinkg i like about the new ones is the missing b-pillar.

do the '00 year have the facelift (painted mouldings, side mirrors w/ blinkers)?? if so, it should be a :cool: car

14. james330i

well, considering lots of people around here ask about it all the time, I've got it adv. for $13500.

In reality though, I think I'll let it go for around $12 - $12.5

know anyone?

15. james330i

I'm well aware I'm not going to beat everyone out there with a CLK430.

I'm giving up a G35C 6spd for this car, and IMO, it's just the pimp factor of this thing that has me hooked. Call it my v8 cruiser if you will.

Besides, I have my Dinan 330i to play around with.

16. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

Thank god your not getting the G35 or we'd have to beat you :p

17. james330i

things got better though.

I called my uncle to ask about maintenance of his 01 CLK430....and he decided to sell it to me. He's offering it to me for $32,000 as well, but it's an 01 model with less miles. Plus I don't have to pay taxes. So, I have that to think about too.

18. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

Good stuff, I'd take it from your uncle if he's trustworthy.

Don't blame you at all for picking it, it's got an amazing luxury/pimp side to it. You're not looking for a sportscar, you're looking for a boardwalk cruiser.