About JL's....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Guest, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Does anyone know what the JL w3's RMS is and what the peak out at?? ANd what do u guys think about the rockford fostgate bd1500 amp ??

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

JL dont buy it
    the fosgate amp it uggg ok

3. mtxzx2

mtxzx2 Guest

:werd:

4. LegendTodd

LegendTodd Guest

10 and 12W3 are rated at 250 watts rms
    15 and 18W3 are rated at 400 watts rms

5. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

JL is good stuff, forget the misinformed (or just plain ignorant) opinions on this board.

RF also makes solid amplifiers as well. Those who tell you they're terrible usually blew one due to some bonehead install error and refuses to concede it.

Either that or they just believe what they hear from some dealer who sells a competing line.

Of course, there are the select few (may I emphasize few) that have had genuinely bad experiences. But you'll get that with any company.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2002
  6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i make my desisions off research personal experinces and peole i trust and there experinces Jl is jensen wiht a differnt name on it the suronds are shitty show me a pair of old JLs with the suround all in one piece as far as rockford tehre amps are not that bad but there are way better amps out there rockford hasnet made a good amp in 5 years or so rockford woofres aboslutly suck they are over priced poorly made and will not handel power at all and dont tell me it was casue of my isnstall hooking up a few wires is not that hard now you runn of to best buy and get you some new caps and three strand speaker wire

7. Stupify

Stupify OT Supporter

JL isn't my fav either. I also don't like Rockford either but thats me :fawk:

8. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

LOL. You're hilarious.

Some of the brightest and most knowledgable people in the industry (you're obviously not included) have stated time and time again that both Rockford and JL produce high quality equipment. Anyone with any REAL experience with either will tell you the same. But I suppose your countless experiences and endless "research" has just proven them wrong. :rolleyes: Get a clue.

Mark Liggett, Steven Head, Bobby Hillgartner and Jason Syner must all be morons and not know what they're doing, right?

9. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

I agree with BobG, I have JL10W0's and they sound good. I have also heard alot of people who like JL too.

10. mtxzx2

mtxzx2 Guest

JL does make some good products...the W7 is a great woofer, although way overpriced. Their amps (or should I say Xtant's amps) are high end as well.
    When you look at JL's lower models, such as the W3, you're paying mostly for the name, and the quality of product you get isnt nearly what it would be with other brands.

As for RF, I've heard a bunch of their stuff, and it's so so. all the rockford amps I've seen have run hot, and weren't very clean. I've heard that they used to make great products, but I was too young to care back then.

11. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Could you explain "Xtant's amps"? They're FAR from resembling Xtant amplifiers.

I can't say that I agree. I've been to JL's production facility in Miramar and was VERY impressed by the assembly line and the steps taken for QC assurance.

You know, I'd bet you that RF amps run just as hot (give or take a few degrees) as any other class a/b amp out there. I submit that they simply dissipate the heat more efficiently to the heat sinks. Talk to some amplifier designers and you'll see that this is generally the case.

As far as the not sounding very clean issue... That's nothing but installer error. Period, end of story. Again, I submit to you the above competitors... Steven, Bobby and Jason all use RF amplifiers. You will NOT hear a hint of noise in the system. Why? Cause it's not there. They have three of the best sounding vehicles in the world.

I believe I've more than substantiated my claims. With that, I'll retire. :)

12. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i sitll stand by what i said eofre as some one elses stated lower modles jl woofers = crap you might as well buy a jensen or profile or any other bottom end sub i havent realy even looked at them amps and those peopel you listed are ussing off the shelf amps that i could go buy at the store i dotn think so my guess is that they are hadn built amps sent to them directly from rockford

kicker does teh same thing with alma gates she get custom built one off stuff dont belive me ask her your self i used to chat with her all teh time and rockford woffers are jstu sad i looked at teh hx2 but it wasnt realy any good for anything the power DVC wqas cool like 3 years ago and ill get a max long before i get a w7

13. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

First.... Literacy is a good thing, trust me.

Second.... Steve, Bobby and Jason all use off the shelf rockford amps. They have nothing to hide, hence no reason to say otherwise.

I'm wasting my time. Let me know when you chose to educate yourself PROPERLY.

14. LegendTodd

LegendTodd Guest

15. Big_Dippin

Big_Dippin Guest

Personally, I hate fosgate products. The product has really gone down hill the last few years. I live by JL. Nothing but great results from them.

16. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Can you offer any sources to back this statement up? Numbers? Competition victories? Number of competitors using them? Anything besides, "In my experience"? That's the easy way out that people LOVE to use.

I'm not trying to put you on the spot (you did that yourself ;) ), I just have yet to hear WHY or HOW their quality has gone downhill.

17. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

i shall post here Bob im not going to say who my source is but lets say they work on RF amps on a daily basis.. REPAIRING them.. they tell me all the time about certain quality decreases im not gonna say their amps suck but there are better brands ;)

as far as jl.. umm hehe since i dont know what im talking about im not even gonna start.. you of all people should know about this word called Marketing.. JLs nicer subs are simply that nice.. Theres MANY better subs for the money. I would never ever use a jl audio product and anyone i know who had jl no longer does ;) and they are much happier with diff brands that cost the same and also had a sound performance increase ;)

as far as the jl xtant amps quote hes just saying the people who quit Mitek were hired by JL and the amps are just simply put Xtant amps.. Their amps are nice yes but theres also better :p

18. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Okay, so you're basically telling me, "This guy I know says so" and I'm supposed to believe it. Not happenin'. Show me some valid figures, pics of fried RF amps, whatever.

Yup. I know about marketing. And EVERY company is guilty of it. Your beloved Image Dynamics especially with the way they hyped the Max for over a year of setbacks. Does that make JL any worse? Nope. Are their prices on the high side? Yup, sure are. They're still quality products. I'm not saying you can't find better for the money. Never did. I'm saying that they're not "junk" as ya'll would say.

Whatever. They're still NOTHING like an Xtant amplifier. Regardless of who designed them. Regulated Intelligent Power Supply (R.I.P.S.), Selectable-slope, variable 12/24 db/octave xover.... Few other amps on the market have features such as these. And please don't begin to regurgitate the stuff about "Yeah well JL amps don't sound as good." If you subscribe to the school of though that one a/b amplifier actually SOUNDS better than another at the same wattage, your knowledge level is even lower than I originally thought. Nicer amps for the money? mmm...that's a stretch.

19. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

umm

its not just one ROCKFORD FOSGATE WORKER that tells me this

ID just needs to learn how to say when products are actually going to come out :uh: :fawk:

umm i have 2 Xtant amps in my garage and i seem to remember be able to run them in 12 db or 24 db octave settings ;)

i never said JL Amps dont sound good.. i said they are a nice amp.

so i dont know where your coming up with all of this

Whatever. They're still NOTHING like an Xtant amplifier. Regardless of who designed them. Regulated Intelligent Power Supply (R.I.P.S.), Selectable-slope, variable 12/24 db/octave xover.... Few other amps on the market have features such as these. And please don't begin to regurgitate the stuff about "Yeah well JL amps don't sound as good." If you subscribe to the school of though that one a/b amplifier actually SOUNDS better than another at the same wattage, your knowledge level is even lower than I originally thought. Nicer amps for the money? mmm...that's a stretch.

and the whole RIPS system its cool but at the same time you do have to spend more money to get more power if you wanted to say run a 2 ohm stereo load ;)

20. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

LOL. You crack me up.

I can find post after post after post where you claimed that JL was crap. I guess now all of the sudden you backtrack to say that you only meant their subs. Sure thing...whatever.

And good for you and your Xtant. I never said that no other amp had those features. I said FEW others.

Arguing with you is obviously futile. With that, I'll take my humble lesson in futility and end this conversation.

21. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

umm i stand by my self saying JLs speakers are crap

i never took back that statement ;)

They didnt design the amps they HIRED new people to design them

i dont use Xtant btw just stating that you can switch it..

and yes arguing with me is very pointless ;) youve posted here how long and your just now realizing this?

22. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Not in RC's amp challenge when everything is matched identically. But in real-world use where amplifiers are frequently driven to clipping there definitely ARE audible differences. R.C. himself admits that, which is why the amps aren't clipped in his test.

23. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Now that we're on a different subject...

I wasn't talking about RC's challenge. And amps are NOT frequently driven to clipping. If they are, you've done something wrong. If you have your system set up properly (listen to just about any IASCA, USAC, SLAP SQ car) the amplifiers clip very rarely if at all.

Now if we're talking about dB Drag, etc.. Then yes, amps are frequently driven to clipping. But I doubt you'll hear a difference between 160 dB 50 Hz bass farts.

24. mtxzx2

mtxzx2 Guest

just admit you can get better than JL for the money. They are not the pinnacle of engineering. They are not the greatest reproduction of accurate sound in the history of mankind.

Maybe there are still some good RF amps, but everyone I know who has them has the best buy ones, and they suck. that is all

25. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Your reading comprehension sucks dude. I never said you couldn't find better for the money. I never said they're the greatest reproduction of accurate sound in the history of mankind.