about firefox

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr Bruce Wayne, Jun 17, 2005.

1. sshould i dl firefox and use it as my primary browser instead of ie ? why?

2. any other browers better?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Opera is WAAAAAY better

4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

jolly, not trying to start a flame war, but why do you choose opera over FF? I used to use opera way back in the day, but haven't used it in a while.

I know there is the speed arguement, but after tweaking a few of the setting I don't see how it could get any faster.

*EDIT* I got curious so I just installed opera to do some speed tests. Opera is faster on a few pages, but a mojority of them FF was decently faster.... so :dunno:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

MOST (not a few, but MOST) sites load *signifigantly* faster on Opera. No tweaks neccessary. When you tweak FF, then Opera is STILL faster. Opera is a much smaller footprint, and does not eat memory. I've seen FireFox use over 200MB of RAM. FF is a *hog*. FF has spyware -- Opera does not. EVERYTHING that I hate about FF is fixed in Opera.

6. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Firefox appears to be a hog, but its because of how it caches. It caches basically everything, and yes it will get to huge amounts of ram. However, if you minimize firefox you can watch its ram usage drop to a meg or two.

Right now actually I did it and it went from 32meg with 3 tabs to 2meg minimized and then to 20meg once back open again. Firefox may appear to be using 200 meg at a given time, but that is ram that wouldn't be used for anything else at the time being. If you open a memory intense program such as photoshop or similar it releases the ram to the other programs.

Also you can set the cache size to whatever you want nolonger having that issue.

As far as the spyware goes can you point me to a site that has it or at least to a source talking about some specific things. They only spyware that I found while searching was an example of another installer hacking into FF and modifying things. Which in all reality, isn't so much as FF's fault but just the fact its getting popular. The most sercure browser on earth could still be compromised my replacing its exe with a modified one that redirects pages and etc. Opera would be in the same boat if it got the popularity that FF did so quickly.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

google, my friend. Actually, we've prolly even had threads here about it.

As for caching, that doesn't explain how Opera does not do that, and is STILL faster.

Use what you want. Personally I'll stick with the best -- Opera.

8. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

It simple, RAM caching is faster then HD caching. Opera doesn't have that abilitly. Caching has nothing to do with how quickly new pages load.

Opera uses pipelining which can break some older servers and make pages not work at all. This is disabled by default in firefox for compatability. FF also has the initalpaint turned off so that you dont see pages while it loads them.

Sure out of the box Opera is the fastest. After tweaking FF is way faster, if you actually try it you might find yourself impressed.

about:cache and about:config are your friends.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Did you not read my post? EVEN AFTER YOU OPTIMIZE FIREFOX, OPERA IS STILL FASTER.

And the things you say "break" webpages a) have not broken any pages for me and b) you must turn these features on in FF to get it even reasonably responsive.

As for caching, by your own admission it does nothing for performance :mamoru:

10. Mordaine

Mordaine New Member

ive never had problems with firefox, run spyware and never find anything, been using it for about a year, maby longer cant remember exactly, but at the moment only using 23megs and i have 5 tabs

11. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

How fast do you really need a browser? With speed tweaks, FF is damn quick, I don't see why I would need anything quicker. Hell, even without the speed tweaks I was more than pleased with the whole experience. As well as all the extensions available, it's a damn good choice for a browser.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's nice. You can be happy with that.

Personally, Opera provides me with speed and customizations not-available with firefox.

13. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Seriously read what I wrote...

"caching does nothing for NEW pages"

"Sure out of the box Opera is the fastest. After tweaking FF is way faster"

Do you even read the posts or do you just spit forth randomness?

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

read my post bro... I've tweaked FF in every way I've read on google. Opera is still faster.

15. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I see jolly say that FF has spyware, yet I've never come across any. (And I do visit quite a few "irreputable" sites :o)
    Caching works great on sites that have the same images on diff pages of the site. (ie - OT)
    this guy http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/opera/firefox/ (who claims his main browser is Opera) shows that FF 1.0.3 (1.0.4 is out now) loaded his 20-page test more than 33% faster than Opera 8.0. This was on a fresh install of Win2K SP3, with fresh installs of Opera and FF. I don't even see him mentioning tweaking the FF.

16. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

IE is a great browser, keep your system up-to-date with windows updates and you'll be alright, no pop-ups ... compared to FF which has pop-ups. I really like FF for its plug-ins, especially DTA ... only reason why FF is still on my machine.

17. Cyrax

Cyrax Guest

Opera sucks, I hate the interface

18. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

No, FF is much better than IE, faster and far less popups I might add. Along with extensions to get rid of most advertisements, it keeps me more than happy. And you don't need IE to get windows updates, it does the critical updates automatically.

19. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I really hate these threads. It's all a matter of opinion. If you want to know which browser is best, download them all and try them. Everyone has different a taste of what's best when it comes to a browser, so asking really doesn't help.

jolly, has it gotten to the point that you have to claim FF has spyware? Why would you even post that without a link to someone credible?

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

21. CompiledMonkey

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

first of all, your "view" of this is exactly as I and others predict from the FF sackriders. :mamoru: Furthermore, that was the top 2 results on a quick google search. However, there have been other more "mainstream" spyware/security vulnerabilities. There were even threads on this forum about a couple.

Point is that I'm tired of doing your research :wiggle:

23. CompiledMonkey

I'm sure it has security issues, like every other piece of software. I never claimed FF was perfect. I'm really missing how your reply had anything to do with what I said.

When someone says a piece of software has spyware, that implies the company/organization that produces that software is trying to spy on its users. This is not the case with FF, so why would you imply that? I'm sure you didn't intend to mislead anyone. I know the Opera sackriders just crawl the web everyday looking for something to say against FF, but at least get your "point" straight before sharing with us.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wtf is wrong with you? Do you think MS has spyware to spy on it's users? Because that's what you just fucking said. Are you that paranoid? BTW, that is NOT what spyware is. Fucking dumbass... you're the one that misleads people.

25. what a great thread. ill have to just try both. right on yalls.