about buying a bike on ebay

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by prowler09, Oct 18, 2006.

1. prowler09

prowler09 New Member

...or maybe this is with any used motorcycle. in the market for a motorcycle, i have mostly been looking at dealers for new bikes...a little out of my price range so i go to ebay. i am confused...i am finding $30k bike on here for $3k. now i know that is not me, but these bikes seem to be crazy and are going for almost nothing it seems like.

like this one <--

doesnt a bike like this go for over $40k new? and this one isn't even that used. it would seem to be a steal to buy it now for $2950. im not exaclty a bike expert here, so dont flame me. i am just trying to understand how to buy a used bike

2. noxxs

noxxs New Member

that looks like a scam, the guy only has 4 ratings, all of which occured more than 2 years ago. plus you need to be preapproved for bidding, that just doesnt seem right. what logical reasoning would he have to sell a bike like that for only 3k? other than that, i've seen some bikes that look pretty legit and in their correct ebay price range.

3. prowler09

prowler09 New Member

that wasnt the only price i saw that shocked me, thats just one that stood out a lot.

4. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

buying a bike on ebay = stupid

5. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

actually it helps identify motorcycles in your area. buying a bike youve never ridden off of ebay is what i would call a no no. but if you search for your area, youll have an easier time finding things. and if you find something you want in my area, id be more than willing to go and take a test ride for you:x:

6. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

I picked mine up off ebay. You need to be careful, if the bikes not local ask for LOTS of pics, history etc... and always check the feedback.,

When I bought mine the seller was in town so I checked it out in person and rode it before bidding. As always it's buyer beware but I wouldn't just condemn it completely.

7. Hapytruck01

Hapytruck01 New Member

i found my bike on ebay, called him went up and looked at it and test rode it and bought it, he agreed for me to do the buy it now over the price he sold it to me for and disregard it and we gave each other feed back, it was a smooth transaction

8. SkankinMushroom

SkankinMushroom Dirrrty Reggae

I would only ever buy a motorcylce fro Ebay if they where within a distance I would be willing to go and see it with my own eyes.

Pictures are good and all, but you can't hear it, see the engine, check the documents, MOT, Tax is all up to date.

Ebay and motors, in my opinion, just isn't worth the risk.

9. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

then you didnt buy off ebay

10. Bugatti

Bugatti New Member

I bought mine off ebay. I called the seller, got into a discussion over the course of a week. Bid, won, discussed some more. Arranged shipping, discussed more, arranged emailing of copy of title and some other paperwork.

Then paid in full. Got my bike in perfect condition shortly after.

Then PAID $$$$ for all the mods I wanted.

11. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I got my 916 off of ebay. Bike was local to me and I went and saw it and bought it. You can get ripped off on ebay. I have my Buell listed there right now. Hope someone buys it.

12. mech|e

mech|e New Member

I found my bike on ebay, bid on it and lost. Guy sent me an email and told me his other bidder flaked (or it was him all along). Reguardless, I drove up, rode the bike, was tip top and then handed over the cash.

Never send ANY money without riding/seeing the bike. Too many scams nowadays.

13. Team Bob

Team Bob New Member

I found my bike on ebay also. It was in Washington and I'm in Illinois. I talked to him outside of ebay so I didn't have to worry about winning the bid on it. We set the price and shipping and it got here fine. Yeah I took a big chance and trusted this guy that there was nothing wrong with it. And I got lucky and the bike was fine and it's everything I wanted. So yeah it's a big risk.

14. Kremlin

Kremlin "Wrong" ~ President Trump circa 2016 OT Supporter

:werd: I have bought and sold two bikes on Ebay and I did well on both :bigthumb: