Ability to give a user admin rights for certain software?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by neonwheels, Feb 7, 2008.

1. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

I have a user who just frankly shouldn't have admin rights but he has one piece of software that requires admin rights, on Windows there is "Run As" or even Privilege Manager which can elevate a user's access to run a program as if they were an admin, is there anything like that for Apple?

Please let me know, thanks! :x:

2. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

under user controls you can limit their privileges.

3. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

I guess I should've mentioned this, they're using OS 10.4.11

Is that function available?

4. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Ok, the only things that I can set is parental controls. And the parental controls only limit access, I more or less need to grant access.

5. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

There may be an easier way, but I know this works:

Open a Terminal window then go to the application in the Finder, right click and select "Show Package Contents" on the icon of the desired application you want to change. Go to Contents/Mac OS and type cd into the terminal window then a space then drag the "Mac OS" folder to the terminal window then hit return.

You should now be in the directory with the actual application executable file, you can get the exact name of it by typing "ls -l". Make sure the owner of the program is the same you want the program to run as when anyone on the system runs it using (having su to root beforehand, logged as root, or prepend sudo to all these)

chown <username> <filename> (for full admin access use "root" as the username)

Then do

chmod 4755 <filename>

Now the program should launch under the owner's username no matter who starts it.

I've tried to be clear with this, but hopefully you have some UNIX experience to help you out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008