GUN AB Idpa questions ...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Apr 2, 2008.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I just remembered I need to pick some friends up from the airport the day of the classifier match. Do I need to shoot this match? Or can I go on without it?

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

If you have plans on shooting a major match, they will not allow you to shot unclassified. If you want to see how you square up to other competitors, then yeah.

If you are happy shooting as a "unclassfied" in just local club matches, you'll live without a classification.

3. minus

Do you shoot your 1911 with the thumb safety on or do you leave it off in interest of speed?

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

Not an option for my single stack. When you holster up you have to engage the safety. Any and all safety must be used, just as you would CCW.

5. minus

:cool:.

6. texchef

texchef Guest

Don't you have to shoot at least 4 matches before you can shoot a classifier? Not sure if that is the way it works.

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

No, you're mixing it up with USPSA.

Explaination of Classifications for each one.

IDPA: The classification is done in one "match" which consists of 3 COF's and "strings" within each COF. It's a 90 round "skills assesment" match that measures basic "standards" type shooting. Mostly, shooting on the move, shooting around baracade, and shooting with reload.

USPSA: They have a plethora of "Classifier stages" they use as "official classifiers" in the USPSA database. In every USPSA match, there are usually at least 6 stages or "COF's" (course of fires) and within the 6 stages, they stick one of the "official Classifier" stages in with the match. And it's usually a "standards" type COF that isn't very elaborate and usually entails you shooting from a single "shooting box".

So every USPSA match, there is only 1 classifer stage. You need 4 classifier scores to get a "classification" in the USPSA system. After that, they use the best 4 scores in the system for what ever division you are shooting. So in essense, you need to shoot at least 4 USPSA matches, to get your classification. And they must all be in the same division.

So if you shoot in "limited division" that day, the score you get from the Classifier stage is sent to "USPSA HQ" and they put it into their system against your "limited division" score card, and they utilize the "best of 4" scores to tally up a "classification" for you. When you move up classifications, they send you a new "USPSA card" showing your new classifictions.

Most shooters will spend 2 years on average in a classification till they get "bumped up".

clear as mud?

8. minus

Is there a minimum age? I have 2 buddys who want to shoot who are age 20. I will be transporting their gear for them (with letters that say I have permission). Do they need a guardian to sign waviers?

9. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I've seen videos on YouTube of kids as young as 16 doing it... they probably just need a waiver like you said. :dunno:

I'll shutup and let AB field that one. :big grin:

10. sprite

sprite Active Member

From the IDPA rule book... Appendix 6

That being said I seriously doubt the club is going to card anyone.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

As long as the shooter is competent, there should not be an issue. They're not going to ask you for a permit or proof of ownership. As long as they don't act their shoe size, they're good.

I've shot with many younger shooters in the 12-16 year old range.

12. minus

We are all set. 2 friends and I. They said prepare to get wet :o

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

Look at my location... they don't call us the great NorthWet for nothin'. Here's a tip, keep a dry rag in your back pocket, as well as a back up in your bag, and clean your mags often! It may not be a bad idea to keep a big garbage bag in there as well. When it gets to dumping out here, we put our range bags in the garbage bags to keep them from getting soaked.

Let me know how it goes!

14. minus

How long do you think the classifier will take? They said it will be a full house tomorrow.

15. minus

My girlfriend is going to look at me funny when I mark all my rounds.

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

Depends on how many shooters they consider a full house and how they set it up. I can probably run 3 shooters through the entire classification in a little under an hour using only 1 bay. But that's 3 seasoned shooters that knows what to do.

it would help a lot if you had extra mags, and had them stoked up. There are several parts of the string with multiple mags, and they have to wait while you top of every time if you only have 3 mags. I usually like to go with 5-6 mags. It makes it much easier and faster.

17. minus

I only brought 3. GOOD 1911 mags arent cheap.