GUN AB coming down to TX in March

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Nov 22, 2008.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

I'm firming up plans now to shoot the Double Tap Championships in Wichita Falls, TX in March since I couldn't shoot it last year. My wife wants to visit her sister in Houston, so I'll be flying down and dropping off my wife and kid in Houston, and hiking it up 6 hours to Wichita Falls for the weekend.

What are the laws on driving with a gun down there? It'll be secured and in the trunk. I have a feeling if I get pulled over, they're going to freak when they see my SVI Open gun and 600 rounds of ammo. Of course I'll try to fly under the radar, but thought I would ask before I find myself in a pickle.

2. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

whitchata falls isnt to far away from me, in texas its legal to roll locked and loaded in the car as long as its not in plain sight

3. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

+1

You can have ready to go as long as it can't be seen.

4. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

What good is a pistol do if it's locked in the trunk? :kdubbd:

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I would be more worried about the flight. Flying with guns is a challenge. You got two choices. TSA lock or non TSA locks.

If you use the TSA locks you run the risk of TSA opening up your gun case when your not present and going "Whoa that is cool." Then they call their buddies over and the gawk at your gun. We suspect that my buddy got his rifle passed around and somebody cranked on his adjustment knobs or they dropped the rifle. His zero was way off when he got to the range. So he had to do a quick zero before the match and it just wasn't really on.

You can go with non TSA locks and then get hassled. You get chewed out and they have to call somebody over so you can unlock it and show it to somebody. Whatever you do don't say you don't have TSA locks because you don't trust TSA. Say something like "I didn't know they had TSA locks"

I have SKB cases because they have both TSA and non TSA locks avaliable. I roll with the non TSA locks but if I'm getting hassled or they make me wait way too long I have the option of switching out the locks.

6. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

shouldn't your WA ccw be good in TX?

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

I just checked reciprocity laws for WA CCW and from what I saw it doesn't extend to Texas.

Is it very hard to obtain a TX CCW? Thinking if there isn't much hoop jumping, I may just get one to be safe. I'd like to CCW my 1911. I've got some family down there that'll get me around and watch my back, like my BIL Big Carlyle from the 5th Ward.

I'm also now considering maybe just shooting Space City Challenge April 10th - 12th and squad up with my boy down there. Don't have to worry about traversing 6 hours through the state and can stay with family down there.

8. kds000

kds000 New Member

tx has a huge backlog in permits now and people are seeing 5+ months of wait time now. You should apply for a UT ccw permit as theres no residency requirement for it and tx honors it

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I'll have to look into a SKB case for travel, thinking of shooting Area 2 match if I can get in before it sells out too. I'll also fly out to Area 1 match.

What's the deal with transporting ammo? No way I want to shoot anyone elses ammo but my own, and I'm thinking bringing around 600 rounds with me. I'm thinking I may have to just mail the ammo to my Sister in Laws house in Houston, but that seems risky, if that ammo comes up missing, my trip is fucked.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

good shit, I'll look into, thanks! :bigthumb:

11. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Ship a week or two early? That way if they don't get it, you can reship or bring it with you.

12. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

It depends on airlines but you can usually put ammo in the same case as the gun. They have a limit on weight though, and will charge you out the wazoo for being over probably.

They usually always say the ammo has to be in the original manufacturer's box and since you're reloading you won't have any boxes. You might be better off shipping the ammo there ahead of time. :dunno:

As far as traveling with a gun in the car, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have you locked in the back like you say, they probably won't even care or want to look at it. This is Texas, we have a few guns. :dunno:

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I ship the ammo to the match or to a friends house. At many of the big matches they will have a address for you to ship match ammo. I also have a 2nd set of ammo boxed up ready to go if my first batch gets lost. Make sure you ship your ammo to arrive 2 weeks before you do and verify it got there.

14. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

There are no real restrictions on transporting weapons in Texas. Whenever I go to the range, I just put them in a range bag, in the back, whatever. Just keep them nominally out of sight, no brandishing, etc.

In the event that you have to deal with law enforcement, being polite, sober, not acting or dressed like a gangster, etc will go a long ways. If you're enroute to a sporting event, you're gemerally good to go as opposed to some lowlfe casing the hood.

There are also no requirements to lock up the weapon, unload it, separate ammunition, etc.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  15. texchef

texchef Guest

Keep us North Texas guys updated as to when you are gonna be here.

Be nice for all of us to meet up after the match and hang out. Wichita Falls is only about 2 hours from me.

16. RRTX

RRTX New Member

While we don't have reciprocity with WA, we still recognize the WA license here in TX. I would normally be at the Double Tap but the Larue 3 Gun is the same weekend.

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

Ah, cool. We may now be staying there for 2 weeks so I can shoot Space City Challenge, as well as Double Tap Challenge. I'd be too nervous flying with that much gear and ammo.

18. AB13

AB13 New Member

FO SHO! I'm also going to shoot at the Baileys local match there in between, we should have a WMD shoot. :cool:

19. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I would go with Florida much quicker and no specific training requirements just the NRA safety class.

20. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

21. texchef

texchef Guest

I'm in and so is my SO. Fukkin sweet.

22. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

When you get to houston let me know

23. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

You should be fine transporting the gun in the car, its Texas for God's sake, you can tell the 911 person you're going to go shoot someone to protect a neighbor's tv and you're ok. :rofl:

I recently flew with a rifle and handgun for a class I took in TN. I specifically called the TSA in advance and was told non-TSA locks were just fine for firearms. A little confusion at the counter by the people since they though all things needed TSA locks, but it wasnt a problem. I showed the guns to the people at the counter, they put a litlte card in the case, I locked it and they all arrived just fine on the other end. They just said I could be called to baggage if the TSA needed me to unlock the case, never happened.

You can take ammo in your checked bags, but it will add to weight and you get dinged hard these days for being overweight with baggage. You're better off mailing it a couple weeks in advance. I needed 300 rounds of .308 for the class I took and had it delivered there and mailed the unused stuff home so I didnt have to carry it with me.

Go to your airlines website and it will explain all the gory details of traveling with firearms on their flights.