GUN Ab and/or Yar

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Jul 28, 2008.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

What kind of gun belt do you guys use/recommend that can be used for IDPA/USPSA type competitions? I'm not using a race gun if that makes any difference, but am starting to do a few of these and would like something that I can put on over an existing belt or one of the two piece designs so that can put the gear on and off without having to undo the belt holding up my pants. :eek4:

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If you do USPSA then THE belt to have is the CR speed hi torque. Inner and outer belt design. Safariland makes a similar belt but it is not as good. The difference is the cr speed has the loop end of the velcro on the inner belt and the hook end of the velcro on the outer belt. The safariland is reversed. What that means is when your not wearing your outer belt with the safariland like driving to the range, or getting a beer at the bar afterwards. The inner belt scratches up your nice leather car seats, or all manner of strange stuff gets stuck on your belt.

If doing IDPA the 2 belt system is illegal because IDPA has all kinds of rules to make stuff less fun (well that's yar's take on it). You want something like the wilderness survival belt. It's not as stiff as the CR speed and it has to go under the belt loops like a traditional belt which interfers with the placement of holsters, and mags. The wilderness survival instead of a plastic insert (cr speed), has all kinds of stiching to make it more rigid. So it doesn't flex when you draw your gun and such.

Yar recomends that you try both idpa and uspsa/ipsc but you immendiately declare idpa to be weak sauce and spend your hard earned money on the greater entertainment value of uspsa.

3. I just ordered a CR Speed HI-Torque belt. AB13 let me try out his CR Speed yesterday, and I shot my first USPSA match today. AB13 took his belt back for the match , and I used my Galco leather gunbelt for the match. The CR Speed is SO MUCH stiffer and more comfortable. As Yar said though, it's not legal for IDPA, so you'll either have to get one belt that is legal for both kinds of shooting, get different belts for each kind of shooting, or pick one kind of shooting. I have to say, USPSA is much more fun than IDPA so far!

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Did you tell AB, "Yar is right, IDPA is gay"

5. IDPA is fun, it's just that USPSA is more fun. :)

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Sounds like something AB would say. Actually he would say.

Well I'm not this camp or that camp or this gun or that gun, or this sexuality or that sexuality. Just kidding AB :)

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

LULz, fucker :fawk:.

Sr. Business liason, you know I have to stay diplomatic. lul

I try to stay loyal to the IDPA crowd, as it's my home club, and I've made some good friends there. I shoot 3 times more USPSA. Around here, we average 70-80 shooters at an IDPA event, and around 50-70 shooters per USPSA event. I volunteer and sweat and bleed for both.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

As for the belt recommendation, Yar has it spot on. Wilderness stitch for IDPA, I use a 1.5" 5.11 leather belt for IDPA.

But I will add, my buddy has the new Dual Alpha belt by Saul, and it looks pretty good as well, it's a lot thicker and his CR speed pouches stayed on there pretty good.

If I had to do over, I would look at the two alpha belt.

I love my CR speed belt.

[​IMG]

9. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll look into the Wilderness or the Dual Alpha Ab suggests since, for now at least, one belt to do both will be fine.

I dont have the time during the summer thanks to my travel/work schedule (gone about 25 weekends a year with most between April and September) to dedicate to one particular club or another. So I have to take what is available on what weekends I'm home, so sometimes it will be USPSA and sometimes IDPA (there is one that shoots during the week that will likely be my best "regular" option) or sometimes just plain falling steel matches or something like that. So to go in whole hog and dedicate to USPSA (though it does look more fun) just isnt feesible at this time.

The local place (about an hour away actually) that does USPSA requires you take their course before shooting there even if you've shot before, so I went out and did that yesterday. They only do one a month and next month falls on a day I'll be out of town, so no USPSA matches for me till the end of September at the earliest. I'll get a couple of IDPA matches in before then, so I guess I'll start there.

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: One last thing, any recommendations on where to buy? Local shops dont carry them.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

11. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from www.reddotshooting.com and they were excellent. They emailed me to let me know they were out of stock of something, offered me a replacement, and also told me when the new stock was expected. Just a really good transaction.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

minor correction Sauls belt is the Double-Alpha Competition Belt. His site is http://www.doublealpha.biz

There are a lot of CR speed type belt/knock off/copies etc. Most of them are pretty good. There is the extreme (have one it's good) and the guga ribas (have not seen but heard it's exact same as CR speed)

Speedshooter.com has the double alpha (have not seen) , & CR speed in stock

13. sprite

sprite Active Member

I have the Double-Alpha. Good belt, a little stiffer and a little wider than the CR. Its a bitch getting equipment positioned but once it is it ain't going anywhere.

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thats an idea. How well does that work or would I be better off just getting the Wilderness?

Thanks again for the info.

15. texchef

texchef Guest

+1 for the CR speed belt. I can't speak for the other belts listed.

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

It should work well. I've never seen anyone that's had any issues with them. Just use the velcro retainer and you should be good to go. Not like you "can't" buy a wilderness later down the road.

The only problem, which is more of an inconvenience, is having to move all of your USPSA gear off of the belt before using it. It's also easier to tighten a conventional as opposed to the velcro.

17. sprite

sprite Active Member

:werd:

Threading a CR defeats the purpose fo the inner/outer setup.

Plus, you'll find it A LOT easier to thread your holsters & pouches onto a Wilderness than a CR or DA, as the outer belts are much stiffer and much thicker than a Wildnerss.

If you can swing dedicated belts get a CR/DA for USPSA and a Wilderness or good stiff leather belt for IDPA. If you have to have a dual purpose belt then I'd recommend the Wilderness.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Threading stuff on and off a cr speed belt because of the thickness is rough on the belt and the holster/mag carriers. I used to run one belt for 3 gun and it was such a pain in the ass that I now have two belts. One is a dedicated pistol belt, and the other is a dedicated shotgun belt.

While some of these newer belts might be stiffer or wider I don't see it as an advantage. The CR speed is so stiff already that if you could flex it with the draw your so sloppy it doesn't matter anyway. Don't drop your gun high speed. As far as wider that sounds like your just going to have even more problems putting stuff on and off. It's not like anything ever shifts on a crspeed. They got the sizing down.

Oh also make sure you order your cr speed belt 2 sizes too big than what you would wear for a normal belt. It is suppose to overlap some.

19. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

That all makes sense. I'll look into the Wilderness for now and start there, then go with the CR or Alpha down the road if I find myself doing enough USPSA.

Thanks for the help.

20. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

lol at the dog.

"I can has baby killers?"

21. Ticket Me

Ticket Me Active Member

what mags are those can i get a link plz

22. They're Wilson 47T mags.

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

what doggah is that can i get a link plz