AAS Use Risk For Cut VS Risk of Being Overweight

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by MaineSucks, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I've been thinking a lot about this stuff since seeing the Dave Gulledge transformation and now the Dave Tate transformation.

Dave G advocated using AAS for cutting and its pretty obvious Dave is swallowing 3 gallons of gear a day. But what do you think?

Do the benefits of using AAS get to a certain BF level outweigh the risks of being overweight and the inherent risks of steroid use?

I can't really articulate this very well, but I'm sure you see point. Like running a few cycles to get down to a single digit bf% then being done with it.

Lets try to stick with the main point here and stay away from the 11ty billion other topics that could be brought up.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

and no, in case yall are wondering, this is just for thought, not action

3. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

It all depends. If you are running a cycle a year for cutting, then bulking back up and repeating, it is going to be more dangerous. If you are talking about running one cycle to cut down to a lower bodyfat, then staying there without using again, then it would be safer. There are alot of variables that can sway the question in either direction. As far as running one cycle, it is going to be on the level of smoking one cigarette. Sure, in excess it can be dangerous, but it isn't very likely that one cigarette is going to give you lung cancer. In the same light, one well planned out cycle isn't going to suddenly harden all your arteries and kill your liver.

4. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I think the risks associated with being overweight far outweight the risk of use to get to healthy weight - if done properly. That would imply not swallowing 3 gallons of gear/day as you say.

5. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Not that I'm an expert, but low bodyfat does not necessarily mean healthy.

6. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

No, it doesn't, but abdominal fat is positively correlated with a host of health problems

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

thats pretty much the point that sparked these thoughts in my head

8. dirtysouthboy

dirtysouthboy New Member

I really wish I would of done a cycle while i was cutting. Strength will prob stay the same and you will keep muscle. I lost 25 lbs and i'm sure a lot of muscle but i'm too much of pussy to do gear.

9. Ceaze

The American Heart Association and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute recommend that the metabolic syndrome be identified as the presence of three or more of these components:

Elevated waist circumference:
    Men — Equal to or greater than 40 inches (102 cm)
    Women — Equal to or greater than 35 inches (88 cm)

Elevated triglycerides:
    Equal to or greater than 150 mg/dL

Reduced HDL (“good”) cholesterol:
    Men — Less than 40 mg/dL
    Women — Less than 50 mg/dL

Elevated blood pressure:
    Equal to or greater than 130/85 mm Hg

Elevated fasting glucose:
    Equal to or greater than 100 mg/dL

10. Ceaze

Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 May;25(5):652-61.

A comparative evaluation of waist circumference, waist-to-hip ratio and body mass index as indicators of cardiovascular risk factors. The Canadian Heart Health Surveys.

Dobbelsteyn CJ, Joffres MR, MacLean DR, Flowerdew G.

Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

OBJECTIVE: To comparatively evaluate cut-off points of waist circumference, body mass index and waist to hip ratio with respect to their ability to predict other individual and multiple cardiovascular disease risk factors.

DESIGN: Population-based, cross-sectional surveys.

SUBJECTS: A total of 9913 men and women aged 18-74, selected using health insurance registries from five Canadian provinces.

MEASUREMENTS: Anthropometric measures, other cardiovascular risk factors, receiver operating characteristic curves, sensitivity, specificity, positive and negative predictive values.

RESULTS:: Waist circumference may be the best single indicator of other individual and multiple cardiovascular risk factors. Optimal cut-off points of all anthropometric measures are dependent on age, sex and the prevalence of the risk factor(s) being considered. For waist circumference, cut-off points of > or =90 cm [35.4"] in men and > or =80 cm in women may be most appropriate for prediction of individual and multiple risk factors in Caucasian populations.

CONCLUSION: Health professionals should incorporate the use of waist circumference measurements in their routine clinical examination of adult patients.

11. Ceaze

12. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

I think that would be the only way I could do a "real" cut since I'm concerned mostly with gaining strength. Like, an actual deficit instead of what I'm doing right now.

I think Dave did 2-3 week phases of PSMF and then would switch back to regular eating or something like that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.