GUN AAR - Todd Green - Aim Fast, Hit Fast - Thibodaux, LA

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Oct 20, 2009.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

First let me say that if anyone ever considers going to Southern Shooting Center in Thibodaux, LA, check this thread.

Now on to the AAR and pics
    I'm going to do all of this based off of memory and AAR: Todd Green - Aim Fast, Hit Fast - Thibodaux, LA

Instead of talking about TD1 and TD2 I'll just go into what we (and I) did, said, experienced, learned, etc. We started with a meet & greet, we filled out paperwork, got some perdy pistol-training.com hats and we went over to the range, setup target stands, etc. We hung some IDPA targets and were assigned groups and targets that we would use for the course of the weekend so he could track progress. We talked about and worked on grip, sight picture, accuracy, speed, etc etc.

The first drill of the day was a marksmanship drill. I don't remember the distance but it was basically to get the tightest groups that we possibly could. The goal was to have all shots touching. My group was, admittedly, less than stellar. Secondly we did our first of four attempts at the FAST drill. The FAST is a drill shot at 7 yards from concealment. Those with full retention could shoot without concealment and would have .5 sec removed from their time. Those with level two and no concealment would have .5 sec added to their time. The drill was to, on signal, draw and fire two rounds at a 3x5 card, reload from slidelock and fire four rounds at an 8" circle. The drill is to assess every aspect of shooting (draw, accuracy, reload, speed, etc) Accuracy on the 3x5 card is stressed in that a miss adds two seconds to your time. A miss on the 8" circle adds one second. I don't remember what my scores were but I know my 3rd run (first thing we did TD2 morning) was my best. More on that later. We worked on sight picture and more of the "seeing what you need to see" thing that we hear so much about. We did a Drill where we varied where the rear sight was in relation to the front. We were to shoot with the front sight in the middle and the rear sight all the way to the top, bottom, left and right of the front sight. We walked that back from 3 yards so we can get an idea of how far we can go back and still get good hits without a perfect sight picture. Naturally, some people could go further than others. Sight design and radius differences, skill levels, etc all play a factor. We also did the Circle Drill. This helps show you the relationship with speed and accuracy and the medium thereof. 6 shots slow fire, 6 shots medium fire and 6 shots "pushing yourself" to shoot as fast as you can while still maintaining 85-90% accuracy. We did some more bursts and talked about press out. Press out, as Todd explains it, is keeping the front sight in your line of sight with the target so that as soon as you are at appropriate extension you can make the shot. The press out is also important as you can start prepping the trigger during your press out so that once at appropriate extension the shot is ready to be broken. We did pressout on the 3x5 and the 8" to work, again, work accuracy vs speed and find a happy medium between the two on both targets that have necessary precision and those where you want to get hit fast (and still accurate). We talked about on command vs on demand and comfort vs necessity. Everyone knows that you can perform better when you're ready to perform. Having yourself tuned up enough and your skillset at a level where the two coincide is a goal we all need to meet. Comfort vs necessity goes into practicing what we're good at and taking that into account at practice sessions when we really should be praciting what we know (but want to deny) we are not. The begining of the second day was my fastest FAST of the class and, if I can brag, fastest all around. I still didn't make advanced (missed it by .11 sec) but, if I remember correctly, that was due to my reload being down low and not where I know it should. Strong hand and weakhand was discussed at this point. Also was discussion on shooting fast vs accurately. If we are good at fast but our accuracy is lacking it's obvious which one we like practing and which one we need more practice at. Basically you should practice what you don't like practicing. We also worked on voluntary vs involuntary reloads (tac/emergency and slide lock). We were showed some different techniques (slingshot, slide drop with weak hand, slide drop with strong hand, etc). He also talked about a lefty using their weak hand index or middle finger to reach under the gun and drop the slide before getting the grip back. I must say that this proved to be much faster and easier to get back on target than slingshot. We did talk about gross vs fine motor skills etc and what effect each has. This is where one handed manipulation (which we did not specifically cover) comes into play as well as the necessary realization that anything involving fingers is a fine motor skill. We also worked some multiple target drills. Hackathorn 3 second standards, Triple Nickel and some others. I was able to clean the Hackathorn from ready but not from holster. I was able to run the Triple Nickel in 4.56 but I dropped one shot on one target. :o We worked on shooting on the move while engaging multiple targets, shooting diagonally, changing directions, reloads while moving and engaging multiple targets, etc. We discussed the body knowing how to "walk" and knowing how to "shoot" and how shooting on the move is often a lost art simply because we try to overthink it. We also worked on marksman ship at speed (drawing and engaging, multiple targets, reloads with speed before and after etc.) We did some decent work on WHO and SHO shooting including the Dot Torture (which I stupidly dropped two on). One I just took a shot too fast and another (WHO). I dropped the first WHO shot then adjusted my trigger finger and cleaned the last four. Obviously I know where the mistake was at that point. We also talked and worked alot on the use of cover behind walls, barriers, etc and talked about relationship of the distance to cover vs how much you can see around cover while the thing you need to shoot is trying to look at you. We talked about "pieing the corner" vs coming out and it was discussed that it's better to come out and make hits while maintaining as much cover as possible vs slowly coming around the corner and giving the person you're fighting more time to get hits on you. We did another FAST test at the end of the day, of course.

All in all I had an excellent class. I feel as though not only did I improve but I also have alot more to improve upon.

pics to follow

edited to bold links.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

did you have anyone down range to try to avoid shootiung?

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

pics better be from downrange while you're shooting showing your class being turned in real warriors.

Good write up, sounds like a good class.

5. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

6. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Shut the fuck up, Donny.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

9. sprite

sprite Active Member

Needs more photographs of the photographer.

10. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Are you talking about me? Obviously I don't have any pictures of myself. :o

Another guy (the guy with the camera) had a video camera, I'm going to see if he has any vids of me running any drills. I'm also going to see if he had any pictures of me.

11. sprite

sprite Active Member

:rofl: No I mean why do have 3 pictures of a dude just standing there with a camera

You could make a flip book out of TLG's push out.

12. :rofl:

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

oh :o

i thought i took some of those out. i can't see 'em from work anyway. :hs:

14. mstad

mstad New Member

You're out of your element.

15. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

This AAR makes me sad that I think my class is falling apart.

I put my range reservations in with like 8 options back when I made that announcement thread - yeah....they didn't get back to me ever. I went in, all of them were declined.

Only other range around here only allows you to reserve four months in advance.

16. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

ToddG posts on Watchuseek often. I think he's wearing a Suunto Core in that class.

17. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

weren't you bragging because you filled it in a week? :o

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

raz i'm pretty sure i PMed you about my change of plans :o

19. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

It's still full.

Yeah, we can't have it in my back yard though.

Unbeknownst to me, February, March and April is when like, every old person who likes to pretend they're a cowboy comes to Arizona to shoot guns and the way this COUNTY RANGE works is that they can just assign ranges based on favoritism rather than a first in-first out type thing. It's ridiculous.

20. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

You didn't but that's cool.

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

shit my bad :o well, yeah. i dont think i'll be able to make it out in feb :hs: sorry dude.

i'm finished with school in december, then in jan i'm going to SHOT, and i need to fit work in between cause i got no monies :hs: