GUN AAR - Tactical Response - HRCC - Shooting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sneakyjesus, May 19, 2009.

1. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

what: High Risk Civilian Contractor - Shooting Package
    Who: Tactical Response
    Where: Camden TN
    When: May 4 - 8 2009
    Why: Who doesn't want a man-cation like this?
    http://www.tacticalresponse.com - go look over the requirements etc.

MY AAR posted on TR forum http://www.getoffthex.com

what Ok, first of all, I didn't ask to be Team Leader of Alpha team. I walked into the team room (an hour late because FR ran overtime) and I was greeted with 6 steely eyed killers and Yeager. With a quick bro hug, Yeager gave me my assignment. I was to be the leader of 6 great dudes during our week of training. I immediately started shitting bricks because I know as much about leading fighters as I do about *insert something I know nothing about*. Then I heard the resumes of some of my guys and I was further panicked. Yeager kept telling me to shut up and just fucking lead these guys. Accept the fact that you're in charge, and look like you are. And so it began.

The pace of the class was perfect. It wasn't so slow that people got complacent and lazy and therefore dangerous. Nor was it too fast that people were above their level of competence and putting people in danger. Everyone was on their toes and stayed safe.
    We shot, hydrated, reloaded and then shot again. It was relatively fast paced.

Gear:
    -CAI tantal 5.45 - I thought I had escaped the 5.56 bbls that so many got. No luck. Stupid Keyholes. Anyone knwo where I can buy a bbl??? It ran 100% otherwise.
    -Blackwater plate carrier w/ cummerbund - did fine, though the cummerbund like to slide down in its slot, I would have preferred a solid piece that wouldn't sag.
    -Blackhawk ak mag pouches - Did fine
    -HSGI smoke pouch and radio pouch (used for VOK)- no problem
    -Howard Leight electronic muffs, Peltors the rest of the time (thanks Eli)
    -Blackhawk kneepads (stayed put when I cinched them down enough)
    -BH elbows - moved all over the place

Lessons:
    Regarding leadership (when not shooting)
    - I learned that people sometimes (usually) need to be told what to do.
    - Delegate authority to make everything smoother, then follow up because someone is probably forgetting their duties.
    -Sometimes democracy doesn't work when getting a operation order together, you just have to decide.
    -Reach out to the dudes who know more than you and ask their advice, but in the end, it's the leader's job to make the call.
    -Make sure you are 100% clear on the orders you were given, more than a few times I said, 'did he say we should..blabla or blahblee?'
    -Have a good group of guys whenever possible (I know this is rarely the choice of the TL, I just got lucky)
    -Don't get wordy when telling 14 dudes what to do. Use Bullet points and keep it easy.
    -Drill your guys on stuff that comes up while shooting, roll calls for example (did we leave that guy???)
    [​IMG]
    Regarding Leadership (while shooting)
    -You are a Leader, not a shooter (just like WETSU said)
    -You are to have a 3rd person view of whats happening
    -If noone else is around, the TL must drag the litter (sorry Eli) and get off the radio. there is a time for talking and a time for doing.
    -I didn't make enough trips laterally on the field to actually get to my guys, this was a combination of lack of fitness AND lack of the thought of actually doing it until afterwards.
    -always get on the radio early, and always lie about ammo. You want the hate wagon to be itching to find you.
    -saying 'someone take this' is basically saying 'everyone ignore me and keep shooting'
    -when you hear someone yelling out a name, its probably you they want
    -have contingency plans for everything, (if your FRS radio goes down, what now?)
    -always keep track of your guys as you are getting away, if not, you have to go back for him, and that shit sucks.
    -calm radio commo is crucial to keep your guys calm AND to be understood on the other end
    -radios don't work while guns are being shot, you need to make visual/physical/verbal contact with your guys
    -you are not alone, look around and ask for help if need be
    [​IMG]
    Mistakes
    My learning curve was steep but this is what I can recall from my notes
    -not enough communication DURING the contact
    -staying up/down too long
    -not being enough of a 'leader', but rather trying to let it be a democracy. I remember a few times when this just backfired and we dicked around for a while (not that this wasn't fun, it just kept us up later)
    -Don't leave rifles/radios/etc, but if you leave them, don't go back to get them, necessarily. I know there are a few exceptions.
    -Remember the mission at hand, are you trying to get just your guys away? or is there something else you need to be doing?
    [​IMG]
    General
    -Shoot fast and hard when it calls for it, and slow down when it calls for it
    -Stay the fuck away from Bakalakadaka stree and Dirka Dirka Ave.
    -Remind yourself what to do, and rehearse it in your mind, the last thing you mentally rehearsed is what you'll do when it gets busy
    -keep your gear as clean as possible
    -Get out of the fucking car, fast.
    -I learned lots about tactics too much and too awesome to talk about here
    -The first attack is a fein, get ready for the real ambush
    -Just like you don't need to crowd your cover, you shouldn't bunch up your perimeter, spread those jokers out and make some room.
    -AAR's keep you honest and are a good documentation of what you did wrong and right for your own personal record. Do them and be thoughful about it.
    -Fireworks can burn you, and they melt under armor (how you doing Toby?)
    -Never kiss (alt:Never stick your tongue in) a hooker('s mouth).
    -Being dragged/dragging dudes is no fun, try to stay alive
    -If you find yourself with more than one team, merge them and delegate
    -Basic but highly important - Don't shoot unless you see your target
    -Tire smoke has a distinct smell
    -FASTX buckles get clogged with mud and lock shut, and velcro becomes useless when clogged with mud. What is a guy to do?
    -It is AMAZING how fast you can create brotherhood with strangers when you are asked to do something like this. I am very lucky.
    -You must train the 'caveman' in you to do what you want, because that's who will be working when the shit meets fan.
    -Orange gookinaide and oral rehydration salts taste like a creamsicle when you need it
    -Don't Panic

I would have been content to just do the drills as a lesser team member, and just learn the tactics and good advice that was being kicked around. Instead, I had to learn that, AND I had to orchestrate my dudes as best I could. Which mostly was not very good. I am in debt to my brothers for making it easy on me and giving me so much useful advice. I'm sure I missed a lot but I have a lot to read and hopefully make up that knowledge.
    [​IMG]

Physical Prep-
    I think WETSU, Eli, and Preston were the most physically able dudes out there. Everyone else probably wishes they conditioned more. I wish I had an extra year to prep for the physical aspects as I felt woefully unprepared. I found out I was able to take this course in February, before which time I was sedentary for 2 years. I realized that I needed a serious boost in my physical ability or I was dead in the water. So I made a kettlebell out of pipe nipples and 5lb weights, and got to work. I also did burpies, and am glad I did. This class should be named High Risk Burpies/ sprinting and dragging fools. I also did some walks with my backpack filled with sand and a few football field bounding drills. Goal is Down for about 7 seconds (time it takes to dump a mag) and up for no more than 4 seconds (time it takes for a guy to see you and re-engage). I was on the weak end of where I wanted to be for the class. But I lived.

Here is me in class
    [​IMG]

Please don't short change yourself, go do this. I can't describe the sense of accomplishment I feel. I also know that I've formed bonds that will last a long long time.

I have arrived.

Thank you James, Jay, Brian, Cori, Dusty, and Anthony for keeping us safe and in our lanes. You guys worked hard.

The time now is...

Any Questions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All photos property of Tactical Response

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. Holy Hell! That looks like more fun than a person should be legally allowed to have.

3. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

Not only are you ALLOWED, you should be required as a free man to take this course.

4. I just looked at the requirements, and they require you to have taken their fighting rifle class. I'd be all over your class, but I'm not flying to TN twice to take the fighting rifle class and this one. :hs:

5. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

They want everyone on the same page, and they ALWAYS run FR right before the HRCC courses. the weekend before.

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

it's very possible that you could find FR right before HRCC, even withi na day or so. they usually run complimentary classes pretty close together, if not right next to each other.

7. Ok, I see the one HRCC class they have left this year is immediately following a fighting rifle class. This is something I'll look into next year. I actually already have a class scheduled for the days the fighting rifle class before that HRCC class is going on.

8. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Awesome writeup and pics. A++++

What's the story with the Stratus? It looked like it was in good shape before the ventilation.

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

If I remember correctly, TR has vehicles donated to them for stuff like this.

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

That's cool. I wasn't being critical of them shooting up a fairly decent looking vehicle btw. Just curious about how it met it's fate.

11. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

Yeah, and James Yeager buys them locally as range cars. They do an HRCC driving course, then when they have nothing left to give, they become range fixtures. Then the shooting package gets to burn them down. BTW a road flare in a car seat will have the whole care a pile of smoldering metal in about 25 mins.

I wish I could post the videos of the night shoot and final X. But James requested that we keep those for private use.

12. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Thanks bro.

I wish I could have fun like that. All I get to do is punch paper. :(

13. P-chan

P-chan New Member

That looks like so much fun. I have half a mind to recreate something like that (casually, of course - less focus on tactics and more on just having fun and winning :o ) using paintball so we can actually shoot each other. I'm lucky enough to have a group of about 10-15 good friends that would love to do this.

14. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Where the fuck have you been?

15. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

+1000000000000000000000

16. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

where has P-Chan been?
    or me?

If me, I was getting a stem cell transplant and beating cancer. Hence no posts.

17. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Best of luck to you sir. :hs:

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:h5: I wish you the best.

19. Crossett

Crossett New Member

:coold: pics man, that looks badass

20. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I'm pretty sure he meant you :wiggle:

cancer all gone hopefully? :x:

21. AustinL911

I was referring to you. I hadn't seen you post here in a long time. I thought we might have scared you off. :rofl:

I'm :hs: to say I joined Polish Tantal crew while you were away, in part to your previous posts about yours. I didn't, however, do a basic 5 minutes of research on CAI Tantals before buying one. Want to take a guess at what mine does? :wtc:

I'm in the process of getting ahold of Century to see about repair.

And I'm glad to hear you came out on top. That shit's (CA) no good at all.

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Sweet pics and nice writeup. As for the Tantal, I'd give Century a call.

23. There are a lot of AK pattern rifles in those pics.

24. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

Using the Tantal is baller as fuck. I wouldnt put mine through that though :o

25. AustinL911

I just did. They refuse to fix them anymore. The only thing they said they'd do is issue a refund to the original dealer they sold it to.

So now, I've gotta track down the dealer I bought it from on GunBroker, make them aware of the situation, make sure they're ok with it, send it back to either them or Century, and wait for the refund to trickle back down to me.

I'm seriously debating just trying to find an original barrel for it.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu.............