AAGGGHHHHH!!!!!! my computer is totally fuXored

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mugatu, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

Here's the specs - AMD 1400, Windows 2000, 768MB, 2x60GB hard drives, GeForce2, blah blah blah - it's a couple of years old.

Never had a problem (except some bad ram) until last night - all of a sudden I get NAV script errors at the login screen - when I log in, things are OK for a few minutes and then all hell breaks loose. I get one or a combination of several errors:

-IE crashes upon start (sometimes works fine)
    -more script errors
    -errors about drivers failing to initialize or load
    -BSOD, etc.

The only change I had made the night before (when it ran fine) was running live update before I shut it off - and NAV installed an update (I can't remember what it was) and then shut down fine.

I tried all the recommended Norton fixes, deleting DLLs, repairing IE, repairing windows, etc. and the problem kept getting worse if anything.

I finally gave up and decided to reinstall windows - luckily I had just purchased the 2nd HD about a month ago and used it exclusively for documents and settings so I know those will be fine.

I insert the windows 2000 CD and decided to reformat the main drive - went without problems, and then I tried installing windows. It gets mostly through and then I start getting errors about "windows could not copy filename.ext to the harddrive, there might be a problem with your CD" :mad:

I rebooted and tried a few different times and got the same error but at different times and on different files so I believe the CD is OK.

I thought maybe my PSU was going bad or being overloaded so I removed the 2nd CD and the 2nd HD and then nothing worked :mad: I monitored the voltages (all seemed fine but I couldn't really test them under load from the BIOS as well as the temps (45C - a little high but nothing really bad as far as I can tell).

I decided to try one last time so I replugged everything and booted from the windows CD - this time the initial installation went without any problems ( :wtf: ) but now I'm getting some errors about windows being unable to load certain drivers (mostly sound it seems) during the setup.

:mad:

This seems really weird to me - I don;t expect much in the way of help or answers I just mostly needed to vent and needed something to do while the drive was being formated :)

Thanks for reading

2. Mugatu

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

things seemed to finally be going OK - then I get this BSOD...

3. Mugatu

:( this is getting downright shitty - I rebooted and get this BSOD during the windows 2000 splash screen

4. Mugatu

I guess it's time to remove every piece of non-essential hardware from the system and try again.

I guess I know what I'm going to be doing today.

5. Mugatu

Well, I replaced the IDE cables, and cleaned out everything from the computer and rerouted the cables and moved a fan to another location.

The good news is that the temperature went down by about 5 degrees Celsius but I still get problems.

POST and the bios indicate that everything is OK but I still cannot install windows - I keep getting ntoskrnl BSOD errors..

Any ideas????

6. Byromaniac

Byromaniac GO JETS GO OT Supporter

format it

7. Mugatu

I've done that several times - no problems there.

When the format is done and windows is copying files to the harddrive that's when I get the errors

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Here's what I'd suggest. Make two FAT32 partitions one primary, one extended and format them and make the primary the active partition. Throw the entire CD onto the second partition. Reboot using a floppy or a bootable CD. RUn the install from the second partition. It will go ahead and copy everything it needs for installing to the primary partition and then reboot to finish the install. Instead of letting it reboot, keep the floppy in there and ghost the primary partition to an image file and throw it onto the secondary. Once that's done, reboot with the floppy removed and it should install as normal and you will not need the CD.

And that ghost image? That just saved you a good 10 minutes everytime you fresh install.

9. surgictube

surgictube Guest

Get Linux.

10. Mugatu

I doubt linux would help - this has to be a hardware problem :fawk:

11. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Stop errors can be a paon in the ass. Nothing you don't already know, but they are just about always hardware issues.

We have a machine at work that gets them occasionaly, I think it is a problem with the onboard SCSI controler or the drives. It doesn't happen enough for me to look into it though. :big grin:

12. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

When my HDD went kaput Linux would run fine but I was unable to boot up Win XP Pro. This was due to Linux not using the boot sector of the HDD or something. It was a little bit ago.

13. Mugatu

:o I'm thinking that this is a problem with the onboard IDE controller - same errors from two different CD drives and the CD itself reads fine on my laptop.

I'll try swapping another set of IDE cables in there (I had plenty of bad luck with ribbon cables before) but I can't see it being anything else.

This last time it got a bit further then when windows was setting up the start menu it started complaining about not being able to find a file - I hit browse and it was right there, swapped the CD into the other drive and same problem :wtf:

14. Mugatu

:doh: I guess maybe it would help :dunno:

either way, I need windows for games :o

15. 5Gen_Prelude

So - you're still fucking around with the CD huh? :rofl: :rofl:

16. Mugatu

no - I finally got past that (I have no idea how) but it's still fucked up

17. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

welcome to Wine :big grin:

18. Riiiiiiight....

Riiiiiiight.... AVAST!!!!

Have you eliminated the memory as the problem? Try going down to one stick of memory, and maybe increase the voltage a bit. When I get wierd errors like that in 2k/xp it almost always ends up being memory.

19. Mugatu

I'm going to try the memory in a few minutes - I am currently checking the harddrives on another PC but so far they seem fine.

20. Mugatu

well, memory is good, harddrives are good, cd roms are good, all that's left is the mobo :o

21. Mugatu

well, not that anyone cares but I finally fixed it - I had on bad stick of ram and a bad slot :mad:

when I switched them earlier, I just ended up putting the good ram into the bad slot so the computer acted the same way

22. event::woer

event::woer Βanned bу Suρer Mοderators

-=linux=-

23. Mugatu

it was a hardware problem - how the hell would linux help bad hardware?

24. 5Gen_Prelude

:slap: You make it sound like people actually read the entire thread before pontificating their thoughts :rolleyes:

25. Mugatu

:o my bad :)