A&P A70 softness

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jinushaun, Sep 15, 2003.

1. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

I know this a dead horse and maybe this is a repost. But I think I found the reason why the images comes out slightly blurred. Or at least a work around if nothing else.

I took a pic in Auto mode and I was like :ugh:. I fumbled around with the settings and eventually changed the metering mode to Spot. I was like :eek3:.

By default, the A70 uses Evaluative metering. I changed it a Spot and I found that the images were MUCH sharper.

:dunno:

I bought mine last thursday. And yes, the Auto mode is too bright.

2. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

auto mode is just a guideline, u also have to factor in EV and white balance settings, which u should b able to adjust even while in auto mode

3. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

No EV in auto. :ugh:

4. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

daym that blows, i guess thats why i bought a nikon consumer digi... although i wouldnt trade my eos film bodies or my eos 10d for a nikon slr, lol

best of luck w/ it though, it jsut sounds like u are gonna have to spend a lil extra setting things up before u shoot

5. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

I only bought it for the manual settings. It allows me to practise aperture and shutter techniques without spending money on film.

6. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

You have to be in P, Tv, Av, or M to change it.

7. Mancini

Mancini Guest

Firstly, I don't understand how the metering affects sharpness. From my understanding, it would affect exposure.

Secondly, does your camera have adjustable in-camera sharpening levels? I have a G2 and found that cranking it up to the high setting made a huge difference. I eventually went back to the middle setting, as I found the sharpening was sufficient on some pics and if not, I prefer to adjust it later.

8. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

In camera metering affects the sharpness because in semi-auto mode, it decides the aperture and shutter time. Too long a shutter time, no matter how focused, will be blurred if hand held. I guess Spot gives more accurate metering. (Also the ISO on the A70 is one higher. I.e. ISO 50 is really ISO 100)

There is something called Low Sharpening, which is very weak.

9. mucky

mucky .

:ugh: What? As long as you have it to no slower than 1/30th shutter and a steady hand, you there should be no burriness. At 1/15th or slower, it recommends you use a tripod. Unless you set the Canon to long exposure ok, auto mode will no go any slower than 1/30th.