A&P A70, A80, S50, G3??G5?? New Digicam, can't decide, HELP!!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Toogy, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Toogy

Toogy New Member

I want to get a new Digital Camera and have decided that I want to get a Canon, now I am just trying to figure out which one.
    I really like the S50 but is it really worth the extra money over the A70 or A80?
    Is the A80 really that much better than the A70??

Anybody with these cameras, what's your opinion?

My main reason for getting a new camera are the following.

1. SPEED - my toshiba digicam takes FOREVER to take a picture, not good when you have a two year old who won't sit still for 5 seconds.
    2. Low light quality - again my toshiba sucks in anything other than outdoors shots.
    3. Battery life - I am lucky to get 100 shots with my Toshiba before the batteries are toast.

Thanks guys

2. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

how much are these cameras? Not a fan of anything other than a slr camera, whether film OR digital

3. fliptight

fliptight Guest

ocy is right, i had the powershot a70, and yes it was a great camera but i like to shoot mostly indoor/low light and a DSLR beats it hands down. but im sure you're not willing to spend $1000 on the eos-300d right now =D

a80 vs a70:

if u dont mind not having a swivel lcd and having a better manual focus mode (hah you'll rarely use anyway), A70 is a good way to go

S50 vs A70/A80:

if you have the extra money i'd definitely get the S50, which has a slightly larger sensor and RAW mode which translates to less image noise

but above all, if you really think you wanna go all out, i'd get a DSLR like Ocy said =P

4. Toogy

Toogy New Member

Well I have NO patience so I went out today and bought the A80. Was a real toss up between the A80 and the S50 but in the end I just thought the A80 felt SO much better in my hands.

I guess time will tell, but I am sure it will KICK THE SHIT out of my Toshiba. That is all that matters.

In time I would indeed love a DSLR, but the budget doesn't support it right now.

5. m5am

m5am New Member

get the g3. Im in the same boat as you and i finally came to realize that the g3 takes the best photos and I will apreciate my investment more later on. That or A80

6. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

only if the s50 had a hotshoe! :angry:

7. Toogy

Toogy New Member

Yes, I actually returned the A80 after only having it for a day or so. Hated the tiny LCD screen and a few other things. I ended up getting a G3 and I AM SO MUCH happier with it. Yes it is much bigger, but it seems to take better pictures, has a better and bigger LCD screen and just feels like a real camera.
    AND it has a hot shoe :cool: