COMIC A7 Review - R.O.D The TV

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Sep 23, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    R.O.D -The TV-
    J.C. Staff/Aniplex/Fuji TV/Sony Music Entertainment, 2003
    Pioneer Entertainment (Project Release Date: Mid-2004)
    Directed by Koji Masunari (Read Or Die, Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety).
    Rated 13-Up for graphic violence, mature situations and strong language.

Based on the manga Shin Read Or Die by Hideyuki Kurata (Battle Athletes Victory, Brigadoon) and Ran Ayanaga. Japanese author Nenene Sumiregawa arrives in Hong Kong to promote her best-selling novel when an unknown attacker destroys her hotel room for no apparent reason. She's then offered to stay with three sisters - Michelle, Maggie and Anita - who run a small detective agency. The next day, Nenene is in the middle of an autograph session when the attacker shows himself and threatens her with a bomb. The sisters use their quick reflexes and abilities to subdue the attacker and save Nenene. What surprises Nenene is that these sisters are capable of controlling paper at their own will - an ability used by her longtime friend Yomiko "The Paper" Readman.

Story: B+
    Initially, I thought this series would bomb without Yomiko, but I was dead wrong. The series grows on you not only because Nenene looks a lot like Yomiko, but you get loads of non-stop action and more fun with paper. And I'm just talking about the first episode.

Animation: A+
    Is it any different from the OAV? Perhaps, since it's animated by J.C. Staff (Azumanga Daioh, Slayers) (Studio DEEN did the OAV) - but the quality is just about the same level. The artwork is clean and the 2D/3D animation is just as outstanding as the original. Taraku Uon (Please Teacher!, Onegai Twins) and Masashi Ishihama (Tenamonya Voyagers) return as character designers.

Soundtrack: A+
    If you enjoyed Taku Iwasaki's (Witch Hunter Robin) soundtrack in the OAV, you'll be delighted to know that he's back to deliver more jazz music to the TV series. Just as before, the soundtrack has shades of John Barry (Dr. No and 11 other James Bond films) and Lalo Schiffrin (Mission: Impossible, Enter the Dragon). There's nothing like the Read Or Die theme playing in your stereo system.

Sub vs. Dub
    R.O.D The TV features Satsuki Yukino (Kaname in Full Metal Panic!, Kagome in Inu-Yasha) as Nenene, Shoko Kikuchi (Yumiko in Babel II: Beyond Infinity, Hikari in Hand Maid May) as Michelle, Hiromi Hirata as Maggie, and Chiwa Saito (Lavie in Last Exile, Ayame in Wandaba Style) as Anita.

No word on which company Pioneer will commission for the English dub. Hopefully, they'll use either ZRO Limit/Animaze (AKIRA, Trigun) or Bang Zoom! Entertainment (Heat Guy J, Vandread).

The Bottom Line
    R.O.D The TV starts slow at first, but the action picks up with much gusto. Definitely a title to add on your list for next year.

[​IMG]

2. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I'm liking it so far.

Anita-chan = :cool:
    and Maggie is friggin' hilarious :rofl:

3. AzNCowboy

AzNCowboy More AzN than Cowboy

awsome. is it 26 eps? is a subbed version out?

4. chamelean75

chamelean75 Guest

yea, has it been subbed yet? Read or Die was great, maybe this one is just as good.

5. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

R.O.D. TV ep. 1 - 3 are subbed

6. kuno

kuno .... OT Supporter

how many episodes total? And is this liscensed yet? Thought it was.

7. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

It is licensed, the series realy starts on oct 10th. Those first 4 eps now where a pay per view type thing. The series is gona start over then.

8. jeck

jeck New Member

where did you get episode 3? i could only find the first two. i lurk around gotwoot and animesuki, but both dont have any new episodes. by the way.. i think the shows pretty nice.

9. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

http://anime.mircx.com

1-4 are currently subbed.

10. jeck

jeck New Member

thank you very much =)