COMIC A7 Review - Queen Emeraldas

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Dec 30, 2002.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Queen Emeraldas
    Dynamic Planning/Bandai Visual, 1997
    ADV Films, 1999
    Directed by Yuji Asada.
    Rated 12+ for violence and mature situations.

by areaseven - http://areaseven.net/

The most renowned female space pirate is back with a new adventure. Emeraldas and her ship Queen Emeraldas venture to a distant planet to do battle once again with the Afressian race, who hold some of the planet's human citizens hostage in exchange for her life.

Story: B+
    It's great to see one of Leiji Matsumoto's favorite characters back in action. Despite being only two episodes long, Queen Emeraldas is packed with epic spaceship battles and one of the best sword fights ever. It's also nice to see a cameo appearance by Captain Harlock.

Animation: A
    Queen Emeraldas uses excellent 2D artwork mixed with some digital 3D that varies from bland to completely outstanding. Character designs by Keisuke Masunaga (Cosmo Warrior Zero). Mechanical designs by Katsumi Itahashi.

Soundtrack: A-
    The soundtrack, composed by Michiru Oshima (Legend of Crystania, Arc the Lad), adds a very nostalgic feel to this anime.

Sub vs. Dub
    Queen Emeraldas features Ikuko Tani as Emeraldas, Megumi Hayashibara (Faye in Cowboy Bebop, Lina in The Slayers) as Hiroshi, Yuko Miyamura (Asuka in Neon Genesis Evangelion, Aisha Clan-Clan in Outlaw Star) as Loodo, and Jurota Kosugi (Dryden in Escaflowne, Lantis and Zagato in Magic Knight Rayearth) as Gamor.

As for ADV's English dub, I skipped it after hearing a few seconds of Emeraldas' intro narration.

DVD Extras: B
    The DVD contains some character information and still shots.

The Bottom Line
    Of all the newer Leiji Matsumoto universe titles, Queen Emeraldas is the best I've seen so far. That is until I get a hold of Cosmo Warrior Zero.

Reference: Anime News Network