COMIC A7 Review - Project ARMS

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Jun 16, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Project ARMS
    TV Tokyo/TMS Entertainment, 2001
    Viz Video, 2002-2003
    Directed by Junichi Takaoka (Trouble Chocolate).
    Rated 13-Up to 16-Up for extreme violence and gore, slight nudity, mature situations and strong language.

by areaseven - http://areaseven.net/

Based on the manga by Ryoji Minagawa and Kyoichi Nanatsuki. Four teenagers cursed with nanomachine body parts known as "ARMS" must team up to combat the secret organization behind their dark pasts.

Story: C
    I wish I could tell you Project ARMS has a good story, but halfway through the first disc, I fell asleep from the extremely slow pacing and lackluster characters. Perhaps everything will pick up on the next disc.

Animation: C-
    For an anime series made just a couple of years ago, the quality is a major disappointment. The artwork is a bit messy and character movement is pretty shoddy. Fight scenes are kind of bland to boot. Absolutely nothing like the fights in s-CRY-ed.

Soundtrack: C
    The BGM is pretty much forgettable. The only good thing about the music is the catchy opening theme by rock band GIZA.

Sub vs. Dub
    Project ARMS features Nobutoshi Canna (Basara in Macross 7, Ban in GetBackers) as Ryo, Shinichiro Miki (Allen in Escaflowne, Takumi in Initial D) as Hayato, Yuji Ueda (Keitaro in Love Hina, Kakyou in X) as Takeshi, Tomoko Miura as Katsumi, Aya Hisakawa (Haruka in RahXephon, Skuld in Ah! My Goddess) as Aya, Shuichi Ikeda (Char in Mobile Suit Gundam, Captain Napolipolita in Project A-Ko) as Jabberwock, and Jurota Kosugi (Dryden in Escaflowne) as Kurou.

Ocean Studios' English dub is a major disappointment. Featured voices include Kirby Morrow (Van in Escaflowne, Cyclops in X-Men: Evolution) as Ryo, Brian Drummond (Allen in Escaflowne, Zechs in Gundam Wing) as Hayato, Brad Swaile (Mousse in Ranma 1/2, Amuro in Mobile Suit Gundam) as Takeshi, Nicole Oliver (Key the Metal Idol, Sorceress in He-Man and the Masters of the Universe) as Kei, Venus Terzo (Ranma 1/2, Jean Grey in X-Men: Evolution) as Katsumi, Kelly Sheridan (Hitomi in Escaflowne, Ukyo in Ranma 1/2) as Maya, Cathy Weseluck (Shampoo in Ranma 1/2, and Mirai in Mobile Suit Gundam) as Misa. Additional voices by David Kaye (Tendo in Ranma 1/2, Professor X in X-Men: Evolution), Michael Dobson (Fuse in Jin-Roh, Dryden in Escaflowne), and Ward Perry (Geese in Fatal Fury, Ryu in Mobile Suit Gundam).

DVD Extras: C
    These days, anime fans just don't like Viz as much as they used to; and now I know why. You only get three measly episodes per disc and the extras are limited to textless opening & ending sequences, a series preview, and some design sketches. Not to mention that the menu looks pretty shoddy.

The Bottom Line
    While Project ARMS isn't bad, it pales in comparison to s-CRY-ed due to mediocre replay value.

[​IMG]