COMIC A7 Review - NOIR

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Jan 8, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Bee Train/TV Tokyo/Victor Entertainment, 2001
    ADV Films, 2003
    Directed by Koichi Mashimo (Irresponsible Captain Tylor, .hack://SIGN).
    Rated 15+ for violence and mature situations.

by areaseven - http://areaseven.net/

Mireille Bouquet, a beautiful and deadly assassin, has been invited to meet up with Kirika Yumura, a girl with no knowledge of her past. She's been hired to help Kirika find out the truth about who she is. However, due to her nature as an assassin, Mireille must kill her after fulfilling this dangerous mission. Together, they become the assassin duo codenamed "NOIR".

Story: A
    Ah, spy thrillers. After being hooked on Read Or Die, I checked out the first episode of NOIR that came with Newtype USA issue #3. Only one episode I've seen so far, and I already love this series. It's got the feel of European thrillers directed by Luc Besson (La Femme Nikita, Leon (The Professional)) and Hong Kong action flicks directed by John Woo (The Killer, A Better Tomorrow).

Animation: A+
    Big props to Bee Train (.hack://SIGN, Arc the Lad) for the awesome artwork and the groovy opening sequence. Character designs by Minako Shiba (.hack://SIGN), Satoko Miyachi and Yoko Kikuchi (.hack//Tasogare no Udewa Densetsu, Agent Aika). Mechanical designs by Kenji Teraoka (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, Ah! My Goddess: The Movie).

Soundtrack: A+
    Yuki Kajiura (.hack://SIGN) supplies an outstanding new age/techno score that almost rivals anything done by Yoko Kanno. The opening theme, "Coppelia's no Hitsugi" by ALI Project, mixes perfectly with the animation.

Sub vs. Dub
    NOIR features Houko Kuwashima (Sango in Inu-Yasha, Kagura in Azumanga Daioh) as Kirika, and Kotono Mitsuishi (Excel Saga, Misato in Neon Genesis Evangelion) as Mireille.

ADV's English dub is okay, just not spectacular. Featured voices are Monica Rial (Hyatt in Excel Saga, Haruka in RahXephon) as Kirika, and Shelly Calene-Black (Cleao in Orphen) as Mireille.

DVD Extras
    NOIR doesn't come out on DVD until February 18.

The Bottom Line
    Sexy, stylish and seductive, NOIR is the best spy thriller anime since Read Or Die. Another reason to subscribe to the Anime Network later this year.

Reference: Anime News Network

2. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

great fucking anime, though it had pacing problems early on (went a little slow for my taste); but the plot eventually caught up with it's action scenes

Chloe and Kirika are badass :bigthumb:

"...shinsei Noir..."

3. tom3

tom3 ...

i thought this anime was very good, but not quite excellent. the different and more realistic settings were a welcome change from the more common conflicts with robots and aliens. the music was excellent and fitting for each scene. and the fighting was simply badass, especially as it got deeper into the story.

one thing that got on my nerves tho was the excessive use of flashbacks. seeing the same thing over and over again with a slight change just started to annoy me.

chloe and her chinky eyes and little laugh made me want to kill her myself :mad:, but kirika... :bigthumb: i really liked her character.