COMIC A7 Review - Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Apr 1, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden ( ‚Ü‚Ù‚ë‚Ü‚Ä‚¡‚Á‚_ )
    GAINAX/TBS BS-i/Pioneer LDC, 2001
    Pioneer Entertainment, 2003
    Directed by Hiroyuki Yamaga (The Wings of Honneamise, Abenobashi Magical Shopping District).
    Rated 16-Up for graphic violence, T&A, HLA, suggestive sex with a minor and strong language.

by areaseven - http://areaseven.net/

Based on the manga by Bunjuro Nakayama and Bow Ditama. Following a brutal war on Earth between human and alien races, Mahoro - a highly-decorated battle android - has two choices in life. If she were to remain a battle android, she would only have less than 37 days left to live. However, if she were to disable nearly all of her combat capabilities, she could live a lot longer - at least for 398 days. And so, Mahoro decides to live like a normal human and work as a maid for high school student Suguru Misato, who lives by himself in an extremely messy house.

Shortly after Mahoro moves in, Suguru's house is spic-n-span clean, his uniforms are neatly pressed and his lunch has become five-star restaurant material. Mahoro's work, however, isn't done as not only does she have to deal with a new alien threat, she has to put up with an extremely busty teacher who desires only to win Suguru's heart with her lust. It just isn't easy being an automatic maiden.

Story: B+
    Mahoromatic has a lot of comedy, drama and some action on the side. It even has a share of GAINAX's trademark fan service. Surprisingly, it's not as ecchi as the original manga (especially the scene where Mahoro stops a couple of bus hijackers). Nevertheless, it's an enjoyable story.

Animation: A
    Presented in 35mm letterbox format, Mahoromatic's digital animation is theatrical-grade with an old-school cel feel to it. Character designs by Kazuhiro Takamura.

Soundtrack: B+
    Toshio Masuda's (Excel Saga, Hand Maid May) musical score is pretty impressive, though not as memorable as the opening theme "Kaerimichi (On the Way Home)" or Triomatic's hilarious ending theme "Mahoro de Mambo".

Sub vs. Dub
    Mahoromatic features Ayako Kawasumi (Megumi in RahXephon, Morgan in Ah! My Goddess: The Movie) as Mahoro, Fujiko Takimoto (Suguru in Gravitation) as Suguru, Yumi Takada (Hatsuho in Please Teacher!, Ayeka in Tenchi Muyo!) as Saori-sensei, Yumi Kikuchi as Miyuki, Manabi Mizuno (Juri in Serial Experiments Lain) as Rin, Asami Sanada (DiGi Charat, Phil in Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar) as Chizuko, Atsushi Kisaichi (Rintaro in All-Purpose Cultural Cat-Girl Nuku-Nuku) as Kiyomi, Takehito Koyasu (Gamlin in Macross 7, Yosho in Tenchi Muyo!) as Ryuga, Hideki Ogiwara as Toshiya, and Unsho Ishizuka (Guld in Macross Plus, Jet Black in Cowboy Bebop) as Hayato.

I haven't seen the english dub yet, but some people have told me that Bang Zoom! Entertainment (Chobits, Vandread) did a good job on the voice acting. Featured voices include Ellen Wilkinson (Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess: The Movie, Shinobu in Love Hina) as Mahoro, and David Umansky (Keitaro in Love Hina, Lin in Cowboy Bebop) as Suguru, with additional voices by Wendee Lee (Faye in Cowboy Bebop, Kaolla Su in Love Hina).

DVD Extras
    Haven't picked up the DVD yet. Will rent it later this year.

The Bottom Line
    Mahoromatic may not be as funny as Steel Angel Kurumi, Chobits or Hand Maid May, but it's still a great robot chick anime.

2. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

one of my all time favorites.

3. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

Cute fan service anime. The final ending though...I'm not sure if the second season will get to it yet, but I'm really curious as to how they are gonna end it. :(

4. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

you don't want to know :o

5. tom3

tom3 ...

i liked this one a lot. i question some of the changes they made into the second season tho.. and the ending? unexpected. i'll just leave it at that :)

6. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

I've heard that the manga and anime ending are drastically different; can anyone verify this?

I stupidly deleted my complete Mahoromatic stuffs (both one and two) because I thought it was just the first season :uh: :doh:, and now that I've lost hub-access, I can't see for myself. :wtc:

7. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

yah they're suppose to be different manga hasn't ended yet though, its still running. theres a Summer TV special comming out this summer too :bigthumb:

8. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

And do you actually prefer the anime ending though? Damn, now I feel like the biggest idiot ever for deleting the entire folder without looking. :uh:

Gotta red/l everything from KaZaA @ uber slow speed...:wtc:

9. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

i didn't mind it, atleast it ended with a semi-happy ending, have to wait for the summer special ep though to see what they did.

10. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Are there any good websites for this show out there?

I searched the internet for manga scans, and information but came up pretty short.

11. tom3

tom3 ...

i could help you out and send you some of the episodes through aim. i got both series and the year end specials :bigthumb:

12. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

13. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

Abenobashi turned me into :squeezer: by episode 3 :wtc: :wtc:

14. Whojive

Whojive Form a Fucking Wall OT Supporter

funny ass shit, just watched the first dvd :rofl: