COMIC A7 Review - GetBackers

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Jan 14, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Getbackers - www.getbackers.net
    Studio DEEN/TBS, 2002
    US Distributor Pending.
    Directed by Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Rurouni Kenshin, You're Under Arrest) and Keitaro Motonaga (Rayearth, Patlabor).
    Not Rated. Contains violence and mature situations.

by areaseven - http://areaseven.net/

"If it's taken from you, we'll get it back. Dakkanya - GetBackers!"

Based on the manga by Yuya Aoki and Rando Ayamine, GetBackers chronicles the exploits of Ginji Amano and Ban Mido, two men collectively known as Dakkanya (Recovery House) GetBackers.

Ban possesses two special powers: the "Snake Bite" (his hands have a gripping power of 200kg) and the "Evil Eye" (anyone who looks into his eyes will be locked into a powerful and nightmarish hallucination). Ginji, on the other hand, has the ability to generate thousands of volts of electricity from his body. Together, they run a freelance business of recovering anything stolen from a client - and they claim a 100% success rate at their job.

Story: A-
    I've only seen the first episode through a fansub, and I have to say that I'm impressed. GetBackers looks yaoi at first, but it really isn't. It's got a good plot, good character development and a lot of humor in it.

Animation: A
    Studio DEEN (Ranma 1/2, Samurai Deeper Kyo) did a great job animating this manga with excellent artwork and a good mix of 2D and 3D. Character designs by Atsuko Nakajima (Ranma 1/2, You're Under Arrest).

BTW, does anyone know what kind of car the GetBackers are using?

Soundtrack: B
    Nothing really spectacular as I wasn't paying too much attention to the BGM. The opening theme by Naomi Tamura (Magic Knight Rayearth) is very catchy, though.

Cast
    GetBackers features Nobutoshi Kanna (Generator Gawl, Guts in Berserk) as Ban, Shotaro Morikubo (Iwata in Excel Saga) as Ginji, Yoshinori Matsumoto (Gourry in The Slayers, Gai in Getter Robo Armageddon) as Paul, Rio Natsuki (Linna in Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Miho in Macross 7) as Heaven, and Otoha (a well-known Japanese fashion model) as Natsumi.

The Bottom Line
    Packed with a lot of action and comedy, GetBackers is loads of fun.

2. kusanagiz

kusanagiz New Member

Same voice actor as Gattsu in Berserk?? I'm there!! :bigthumb: