COMIC A7 Review - Generator Gawl

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Feb 7, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Generator Gawl (ジェネレイター ガウル )
    Tatsunoko/TV Tokyo/JVC, 1998
    ADV Films, 2001-2002
    Directed by Seiji Mizushima (Dai-Guard, Slayers Next).
    Rated 12-Up for violence, mature situations and strong language.

by areaseven - http://areaseven.net

Three men from the distant future are sent to modern day Tokyo to save the world from a potential threat to mankind. It won't be an easy task as they only have three months to accomplish this mission.

Story: C
    There are some that like this series and some that don't. Personally, I wasn't too impressed with Generator Gawl as I fell asleep halfway through disc 1.

Animation: B-
    The artwork and animation look pretty weird and are not as groundbreaking as other titles released at the same time it came out. Character designs by Akira Oguro. Generator designs by Yasuhira Moriki. Mechanical designs by Kenji Teraoka (.hack://SIGN, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex).

Soundtrack: B-
    Not good enough to warrant a CD purchase, especially with the sub-par opening theme, "I Want Out" by Yuki Saga. Music by Norimasa Yamanaka (Appleseed, Weiß Kreuz).

Sub vs. Dub
    Generator Gawl features Nobutoshi Hayashi (Tasuki in Fushigi Yuugi) as Gawl, Shinichiro Miki (Takumi in Initial D, Allen in Escaflowne) as Koji, Tsutomu Kashiwakura (McDougal in Outlaw Star) as Ryo, Hideyuki Hori (Kyoji/Schwartz in Mobile Fighter G-Gundam) as Kanae, Satsuki Yukino (Kaname in Full Metal Panic!, Kagome in Inu-Yasha as Masami, Yuriko Yamaguchi (Ritsuko in Neon Genesis Evangelion, Reiko in Outlaw Star) as Ryuko, and Konami Yoshida (Metal Fighter Miku, Umi in Magic Knight Rayearth) as Natsume.

ADV provided a less-than-stellar English dub. But then again, most of ADV's dubs are like that.

DVD Extras: B
    Disc 1 has character & mecha sketches and a trailer.

The Bottom Line
    Generator Gawl is not for everyone. Rent it first, then decide whether or not you want to continue the series.