COMIC A7 Review - FLCL

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Mar 29, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    FLCL ( ƒtƒŠƒNƒŠ )
    GAINAX/Production I.G./King Records, 2000
    SynchPoint, 2002-2003
    Directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki (Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth)
    Not Rated. Contains graphic violence, slight nudity, suggestive sexual situations and profanity.

by areaseven - http://areaseven.net/

Twelve-year-old Naota has a big problem in his life - and it's not his brother's ex-girlfriend molesting him. There's a girl named Haruko who, for some unknown reason, is trying to kill him with her yellow Vespa scooter or her gas-powered bass guitar. After being whacked by Haruko, a big block-like horn forms on Naota's forehead, which later on explodes when two robots pop out of it. What the hell is going on? You'd have to watch FLCL to find out.

Story: A-
    Unless you've seen Excel Saga, beware when you watch FLCL, as the story content will potentially fry your brain on the first viewing. But underneath all the craziness and comedy, you have an excellent story and a bunch of characters you can't forget.

Animation: A++
    GAINAX and Production I.G - the masters of eye candy - will give you an overdose of digital 2D mixed with stunning cel-shaded 3D animation that's nothing short of crazy. Even the manga scenes have a high shock value.

Soundtrack: A+
    Dude, you gotta pick up the soundtrack by legendary J-Punk band The Pillows. It absolutely rocks!

Sub vs. Dub
    FLCL features Jun Mizuki (Masato and Midori in Hand Maid May) as Naota, Mayumi Shintani (Tsubasa in His and Her Circumstances) as Haruko, Izumi Kasagi as Mamimi, Chiemi Chiba (Ojamajo Doremi) as Kitsurubami, Kazuhito Suzuki as Masashi, Mika Ito as Ninamori, Hiroshi Ito as Shigekuni, and Suzuki Matsuo as Kamon.

I haven't reviewed the dub yet, so I don't know if it's good or not. But then again, with all the japanese slang in the dialogue, dubbing it wouldn't make sense.

DVD Extras
    Haven't checked them out yet, as SynchPoint's ripping people off with just two episodes per disc.

The Bottom Line
    Undoubtedly the best anime dark comedy ever made. Just don't call it "Fooly Cooly" unless you're asking for a bass guitar on your face.

2. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

I'm surprised no one replied to this one yet. Yah, this anime is either hit (hit it like you'd for unknowngirl) or miss (tubgirl). I personally loved it, as it is one of the four animes I've rated A for. Simply a crazy comedy that's not all parody. I especially love the manga-cutscenes...MOUTH-TO-MOUTH...downright hilarious!

People who stubbornly refuse to accept the anime's explanation and logic will find it very difficult to understand what the hell is going on, so before watching, please watch Excel Saga first to desensitize your mind; I've had enough friends come up to me saying that FLCL sucks and doesn't make any sense. :o

3. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

4. Whojive

Whojive Form a Fucking Wall OT Supporter

when does the 3rd dvd comeout?

5. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

i've had the fansubs fro 2 years now and it was one of the best series i've seen yet.

6. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

As far as I know the 3rd DVD should be out, although I went to try and find it and came back empty handed. I really want to get my hands on the limited box but with my lack of funds and time i dont think that will happen.

FLCL is one of my all time favorite animes ever. It is simply amazing. I was a little hesident at first, but My friend told to not try to over analize the plot and simply enjoy the ride and I loved it. The music is really good as well.

7. Whojive

Whojive Form a Fucking Wall OT Supporter

supposedly vol 3 came out july 18th, but i haven't seen it :dunno:

8. picabu

picabu I like pie

It's out. Even amazon.com has it.

9. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

03-28-2003, 09:58 PM

:eek3:

10. Klepto

Klepto Guest