COMIC A7 Review - Dangaioh: Hyper Combat Unit

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Dec 13, 2002.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Dangaioh: Hyper Combat Unit
    AIC/ARTMIC/Bandai Visual, 1987-1988
    Manga Entertainment, 1996
    Directed by Toshihiro Hirano (Fight! Iczer-One, Hades Project Zeorymer).
    Not Rated. Contains graphic violence and unnecessary profanity.

by areaseven (http://areaseven.net/)

Don't get me wrong - I actually like Dangaioh. I remember watching the English subtitled version on VHS when it was first released by US Renditions. This homage to the classic giant robot era was a bit cheesy, but the mecha designs by Shoji Kawamori (Macross Plus, Mobile Suit Gundam 0083) and Koichi Ohata (Aim for the Top! Gunbuster, Genocyber) were sweet. When US Renditions went out of business, I was afraid new anime fans wouldn't have a chance to watch this title. Then I heard that Manga Video was re-releasing it. At first, I thought it was a good thing. But when I picked up this tape...

Story: D
    When I got this tape, I was expecting all three episodes. But to my disappointment, Manga Video included only episodes 2-3. Why did Manga cheap out on this anime? Probably because episode 2 starts with a summary of the first episode. Even with the summary, you lose a lot of character development.

Making matters worse is that Manga tampered with the original screenplay. This version eliminates the fact that Pai Thunder, one of Dangaioh's psychic pilots, is actually the daughter of the evil tyrant Galimos. So much for the subplot of Pai abducting Roll Kran.

Animation: B+
    Dangaioh has pretty high-quality animation for an 80s OAV series. Not as flashy as Gunbuster, but still very impressive.

Soundtrack: C+
    Nothing really spectacular here. Dangaioh has some pretty interesting BGM tracks, though many of them are actually recycled from Iczer-One and some tokusatsu (Japanese live-action hero) shows.

Sub vs. Dub
    Manga's version is only available dubbed. And the dubbing is not good at all. Voice acting is piss-poor, the script suffers from unnecessary use of profanity, and as mentioned above, Manga screwed up with the script.

DVD Extras: N/A
    So far, Manga Entertainment has no plans on releasing this travesty on DVD any time soon. Looks like Manga will be releasing Dangaioh on DVD on January 2003. If it's the same as this video, grab your pitchforks and head towards Marvin Gleicher's home.

The Bottom Line
    Dangaioh is worth watching, but avoid this version at all costs. Hunt down the old US Renditions subtitled tapes instead.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2002