COMIC A7 Review - Chobits

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Dec 13, 2002.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Chobits Production Committee/TBS/Pioneer LDC, 2002
    Pioneer Entertainment (Release Date: March 2003)
    Directed by Morio Asaka (Card Captor Sakura: The Movie).
    Rated 16-Up for slight nudity and suggestive sexual situations.

by areaseven (http://areaseven.net/)

In the near future, Japanese urban society relies on Persocoms - human-like robots that store personal data, receive email and access websites anywhere (even the adult ones). Thanks to these Persocoms, life has become more convenient.

Hideki Motosuwa, an 18-year-old farm boy, has just moved to Tokyo for college. One day, he discovers a beautiful blond-haired Persocom lying on a pile of garbage. He takes her home and manages to activate her. From that point on, she's known as Chii (since that's all she says), and Hideki's life is changed forever.

Chobits is another title from the highly-acclaimed CLAMP (X, Card Captor Sakura).

Story: A-
    Simply put, it's a romantic comedy one part Ah! My Goddess, one part Maison Ikkoku, one part Hand Maid May, and a few other anime titles I can't think of at this time. Hell, this is another anime that makes Spielberg's Artificial Intelligence look much worse than it is.

Animation: A
    Animated by Madhouse (Ninja Scroll, Trigun), Chobits uses some flashy 3D effects and wacky cel-shaded animation in some parts, which makes it more enjoyable.

Soundtrack: A-
    Keitaro Takanami supplies a very good musical score to this series. Another plus is the catchy opening theme, "Let Me Be With You".

Sub vs. Dub
    Chobits features Tomokazu Sugita (Subaru in X, Kagami in Ceres, Celestial Legend[/I) as Hideki, Rie Tanaka (Morgana in .hack//SIGN, Saki in Steel Angel Kurumi) as Chii, Tomokazu Seki (Van in Escaflowne, Sosuke in Full Metal Panic) as Shinbo, and Kikuko Inoue (Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess, Kasumi in Ranma 1/2) as Chitose.

Pioneer's English dub isn't out until March of next year, but according to their website, the dialogue will be produced by Bang! Zoom! Entertainment (Vandread, X). Since I have yet to watch anything dubbed by them, I'd like to know how Bang! Zoom! are compared to ZRO and Ocean Studios.

The Bottom Line
    Whether you're into CLAMP or not, you must check out Chobits. It's damn hilarious.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2002
  2. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

I think Chobits is over-rated. .. I've only seen 6 episodes and read two graphic novels, but I didn't think it's as great as everyone makes it out to be

3. tom3

tom3 ...

i just finished watching the entire series and i thought it was excellent.. good story, very funny, cool animation and music. i'd definitely recommend it. :bigthumb:

4. Shikado

Shikado David-Michelle-Edgar-Tony :wtc:

i like it more than love hina.

5. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

agreed with Jacy. I thought it was mediocre at best. the comedy was good but Love Hina, Onegai Teacher, Ai Yori Aoshi, Kare Kano, and Kanon IMO were better story wise.

sumomo was my fav. character in chobits

the theme song for Ai Yori Aoshi owns me. I hum to it more than I should and I don't even know what she is saying :o

6. neo_omega

neo_omega New Member

My gf likes it a lot.

7. kpxgq

kpxgq Guest

i hate love hina

chobits = ubercute

8. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

blasphemer!

9. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

same goes for you. :fawk:

10. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

i thought the whole "falling in love with a machine" theme was kind of.... um.... creepy. i gotta go spend some time with my real-doll now :ugh2:

11. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

love hina manga > anime