COMIC A7 Review - Blood: The Last Vampire

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Dec 13, 2002.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Production I.G., 2000
    Manga Entertainment, 2001
    Directed by Hiroyuki Kitakubo (Golden Boy, Roujin Z).
    Not Rated. Contains violence and gore, and profanity.

by areaseven (http://areaseven.net/)

Behold...a humble review of one of the most overhyped anime releases ever made.

Story: D+
    Well, Blood has an adequate amount of action, but in the 46 minutes of the OAV, there's absolutely no plot and no character development. All we have is some Japanese chick named Saya who teams up with some American agents and hunts down demons with her sword. Nothing much else.

On a side note, Blood was actually a multimedia project in Japan that included this anime, a novel, a couple of manga books, and a PlayStation 2 game. But with the anime alone and no plans for the other stuff to be released domestically, you're stuck.

Animation: A+
    Ooh...so much eye candy here. Blood uses an excellent mix of digital 2D and 3D animation with outstanding lighting effects. If only they didn't concentrate too much on the animation and worked a bit more on the story.

Soundtrack: B+
    The orchestral score, composed by Yoshihiro Ike, is impressive, but not memorable enough to warrant a soundtrack CD in your collection.

Sub vs. Dub
    No real decision here, as majority of the anime is already in English. Only Saya (played by Youki Kudoh of Snow Falling on Cedars fame), the school doctor (played by Saemi Nakamura, also of Snow Falling on Cedars fame) and a couple of minor characters have Japanese dialogues. Also listed is Rebecca Forstadt (a.k.a. Reba West, voice of Lynn Minmay in Robotech) as Sharon.

I'm impressed that Kudoh and Nakamura can switch from English to Japanese so easily. The only problem is that the English dialogue seems flat. Even the American actors doing the voices of American characters just lack emotion.

DVD Extras: B
    You get a behind-the-scenes look at the OAV, from the storyboards to the computer animation and soundtrack.

The Bottom Line
    Blood: The Last Vampire is one of the few titles that give a glimpse of the future of Japanese animation. Unfortunately, a lack of plot makes this one not worth owning. Just rent it instead.

2. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I didn't like it. :(

Although, the animation was good.

3. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I still want to check this one out, nowhere to rent anime around here though...