COMIC A7 Review - Assemble Insert

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Apr 9, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Staff Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Studio Core/Tohokushinsha Film, 1990
    The Right Stuf, 2001
    Directed by Ayumi Chibuki.
    Rated 16+ for violence, nudity, sexual situations and strong language.

by areaseven -

Created by Masami Yuuki (Mobile Police Patlabor, Birdy the Mighty). The streets of Tokyo are terrorized by a notorious crime organization known as Demon Seed. But the Tokyo police has an answer to Demon Seed's reign of terror - Maron Namikaze, a young idol singer with unbelievable super strength (she practically doesn't know she's broken something upon holding it) and a top-secret power suit.

Story: C
    It's Bubblegum Crisis meets American Idol in this 2-episode anime parody. Non-anime fans will not get most of the jokes. Even most anime fans won't find Assemble Insert appealing with its shallow plot and lack of character development. The T&A in the series isn't even enough to make up for all of that.

Animation: D+
    Right when I was slowly recovering from The Legend of Black Heaven's bland animation, I see yet more bad animation. Assemble Insert suffers from poor character design and sub-par animation that's not even TV-grade.

Soundtrack: B-
    I may be a fan of Kohei Tanaka's (Gunbuster, Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team) music, but his score for Assemble Insert is disappointing.

Sub vs. Dub
    Assemble Insert features Hiroko Kasahara (Ishtar in Macross II, Fuu in Magic Knight Rayearth) as Maron, Norio Wakamoto (Coach Ota in Gunbuster, Vicious in Cowboy Bebop) as Hattori, Kikuko Inoue (Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess, Mizuho in Please Teacher!) as Yoshiko, Maria Kawamura (Jung-Freud in Gunbuster, Naga in The Slayers) as Kagairi, Ai Sato as Okami, Ichiro Nagai (Happosai in Ranma 1/2) as Ryohei, and Chikao Otsuka (Goemon in Lupin III, Gold Roger in One Piece) as Dr. Demon.

The Right Stuf's english dub is not funny at all. Featured voices include Jessica Calvello (before Excel Saga screwed her voice up), J. David Brimmer (Zodd in Berserk, Drillmaster in Now and Then, Here and There) as Hattori, Mandy Bonhomme (Juri in Revolutionary Girl Utena, Mimi in Slayers Next) as Kagairi, and Christopher William as Dr. Demon. Additional voices by Crispin Freeman (Alucard in Hellsing, Hideki in Chobits).

DVD Extras: D-
    The only extra in the disc is the mock energy drink commercial shown on episode 1.

The Bottom Line
    If you're into slapstick comedy, rent Assemble Insert. Otherwise, rent something else.