COMIC A7 Review - Asagiri no Miko

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Apr 29, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Asagiri no Miko ( ’©–¶‚̛ޗ )
    Chaos Project/King Records, 2002
    U.S. Distributor Pending.
    Directed by Yuji Moriyama (Project A-Ko, Geobreeders).
    Not Rated. Contains violence and mature situations.

by areaseven - http://areaseven.net/

Based on the manga by Hiroki Ukawa. Since childhood, Tadahiro Amatsu has two different-colored eyes - one brown and one light hazel. But because of a dark secret behind his left eye, he's become a target for the masked sorcerer Ayatara Miramune and his band of demons.

To combat the demons appearing all over town, Yuzu Hieda, a priestess in training, recruits four other girls from her high school. Under the supervision of Yuzu's elder sister Kurako, the five young priestesses must undergo months of training to master their abilities.

Story: A-
    I picked this anime up online without any knowledge of what it's about, and it completely got me off-guard. Yes, each episode is 10 minutes long, but is filled with non-stop laughs. To loosely describe it, Asagiri no Miko is like Azumanga Daioh poking fun at the magical girl genre. As a matter of fact, most of the characters are derivatives of the Azumanga girls. For instance, Seiko is Tomo with a hunting spear. Chika is a demented Chiyo with a digital camera. I could go on further, but all I have to say is you have to download the fansubs as Asagiri no Miko is a damn good series.

Animation: B+
    Did I mention that the artwork and animation look a lot like Azumanga Daioh? It sure does, only not as consistent with the digital 2D. It's still pretty good, though.

Soundtrack: A-
    The BGM by Tsuneyoshi Saito (Tenchi Muyo! In Love 2, Nazca) is an interesting mix of pop and traditional Japanese instrumentals. Fans of Megumi Hayashibara will dig the opening and ending themes.

Cast
    Asagiri no Miko features Takahiro Mizushima (Christopher in Scrapped Princess, Kouta in Sora no Stellvia) as Tadahiro, Ai Shimizu (Minawa in Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful, Monica in Heat Guy J) as Yuzu, Kaoru Morota (Hakuryu in Saiyuki) as Seiko, Nanase Katou (Madoka in Magic User's Club) as Chika, Sayaka Ohara (Misumi in Please Teacher!, Ezra in Vandread) as Shizuka, Rie Kanda as Izumi, Megumi Hayashibara (Faye in Cowboy Bebop, Lina in The Slayers) as Kurako, Shizuku Hasegawa (Nana in Tenshi no Shippo) as Tama, and Ryotaro Okiayu (Jinnai in El-Hazard, Sakata in Love Hina) as Masashi.

The Bottom Line
    If you like Azumanga Daioh, you'll enjoy Asagiri no Miko (even though they're not related). It's probably the best anime comedy not yet available in the US.

2. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

I've only managed to get my hands on one episode of it, but if you even draw comparison to Azumanga, then I guess it's worth the IRC-hunting for :hs:

3. tom3

tom3 ...

4. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

Downloading at a VERY slow rate right now :hs:

I got episode 19 though from the irc channel

5. tom3

tom3 ...

i'll upload them to you.. if you ever get your server running :fawk:

6. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

The FTP project failed because of the fundamental flaw of how my folders are structured; that and the pathetically slow speed of I2->I1 for me. Well, you are using I2, too, so we'll see how well that works...

Oh, "have you seen" Sugar the Tiny Snow Fairy? ;) ;) :x: