COMIC A7 Review - Arjuna

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Dec 13, 2002.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Sotsu Agency/TV Tokyo/Bandai Visual, 2001
    Bandai Entertainment, 2002
    Directed by Shoji Kawamori (Macross/Robotech, Macross Plus, Escaflowne).
    Rated 13-Up for violence, slight nudity and mature situations.

by areaseven (http://areaseven.net/)

After a life-threatening motorcycle accident, high school student Juna Ariyoshi joins a secret organization called "SEED" to become the savior of the Earth.

Story: A-
    I've only seen episode 1 and I must say that I'm very impressed with the storytelling and character development. Will look forward to watching the rest of the series.

Animation: A+
    Like Kawamori's other works, Arjuna sets new standards in Japanese animation. You'll be dazzled by the series' blend of digital 2D and 3D animation and unique character designs.

Soundtrack: A+
    In the world of anime soundtracks, no one comes out with more innovative scores than Yoko Kanno (Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop). Like Escaflowne, Arjuna uses some excellent orchestral and new age music, plus outstanding songs by Maaya Sakamoto (Hitomi in Escaflowne, Reika in RahXephon).

Sub vs. Dub
    Arjuna features Mami Higashiyama as Juna, Tomokazu Seki (Van in Escaflowne, Toji in Neon Genesis Evangelion) as Tokio, Aya Hisakawa (Skuld in Ah! My Goddess, Ami/Sailor Mercury in Sailor Moon) as Sayuri, Yuji Ueda (Keitaro in Love Hina, Nanbara in Hand Maid May) as Chris, Mayumi Shintani as Cindy, Yoko Soumi as Teresa, and Tessho Genda (Sanders in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, D in Project A-Ko) as Onizuka.

Ocean Studios (Ranma 1/2, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade) produced one of their best dubs for this series.

DVD Extras
    So far, I've only seen episode 1 through Bandai's Anime Guide DVD (free with Newtype USA magazine #1). I will definitely pick this series up when a boxed set is released.

The Bottom Line
    Arjuna rocks! Buy it today.

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Shoji Kawamori. :bowdown: