COMIC A7 Review - AKIRA

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Oct 17, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    AKIRA ( ƒAƒLƒ‰ )
    Toho Film/Bandai Visual, 1988
    Pioneer Animation, 2001-2002
    Directed by Katsuhiro Otomo (Memories, Metropolis).
    Rated R for violence and gore, nudity and profanity.

The year is 2019. Thirty-one years have passed since an experiment gone wrong triggered an explosion that destroyed Tokyo, Japan. This phenomenon was known by many as "Akira," named after the test subject of the experiment. Following this catastrophe and World War III, the city became Neo-Tokyo - a cesspool of gang violence, angry demonstrations and a corrupt government.

Shotaro Kaneda leads his motorcycle gang of juvenile delinquents against the Clowns for road supremacy. But things go awry when Kaneda's best friend Tetsuo Shima is involved in a deadly accident and taken into custody by the military. The accident unleashes physical and mental powers hidden inside Tetsuo, which he uses indiscriminately to wreak havoc all over the city. With the help of a political activist named Kei, Kaneda must stop Tetsuo before he releases the powers of Akira and destroys Neo-Tokyo.

Story: A
    It's not easy adapting a manga into the big screen, but Otomo managed to keep the film as close to the original story as possible in a two-hour span. Many viewers may not understand the film at first, but they'll slowly realize its meaning.

Animation: A+
    Akira became the benchmark in Japanese animation with its vibrant mix of 2D and 3D graphics. It's hard to believe that this movie is nearly two decades old, but is still technically superior to most anime titles released in the past five years.

Soundtrack: A+
    Akira is highly regarded as having one of the greatest soundtracks in film history. Composed by Shoji Yamashiro and performed by Geinoh Yamashiro-Gumi, the film score uses a perfect blend of Malay, Indonesian and Japanese instruments with synthesizers and powerful vocals.

Sub vs. Dub
    The Japanese cast features Mitsuo Iwata (Itsuki in Initial D, Hyosuke in Please Teacher!/Onegai Twins) as Kaneda, Nozomu Sasaki (Yuusuke in Yu-Yu Hakusho, Enishi in Rurouni Kenshin) as Tetsuo, Mami Koyama (Karen in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Chiren in Battle Angel) as Kei, Taro Ishida (Duke Red in Metropolis) as the Colonel, Takeshi Kusao (The Guyver, Trunks in Dragon Ball Z) as Kai, Tessho Genda (Chief Dan Dastun in The Big O, Sanders in Gundam 08th MS Team) as Ryu, Fukue Ito as Kiyoko (#25), Tatsuhiko Nakamura as Takashi (#26), Kazuhiko Kamifuji as Masaru (#27), and Mizuho Suzuki as Dr. Onishi.

When Streamline Pictures first released Akira, it was marred by horrible dubbing and a bad English script. Pioneer re-translated the script to make it closer to the original Japanese version. The new dub, produced by ZRO Limit Productions/Animaze, features Johnny Yong Bosch (Vash the Stampede in Trigun, Haruto in Witch Hunter Robin) as Kaneda, Joshua Seth (Cyborg 009, Eiji in Rurouni Kenshin) as Tetsuo, and Wendee Lee (Faye in Cowboy Bebop, Angel in The Big O) as Kei. I'm glad to say that the dub is very good.

DVD Extras: A+
    If you bought the 2-disc version, you definitely got your money's worth. Disc 2 is loaded with the following features:

- AKIRA Production Report (The making of the movie).
    - AKIRA Sound Clip (The original soundtrack production).
    - Interview with Katsuhiro Otomo.
    - Production Materials (Still images, unused storyboards & backgrounds, character design sketches, manga art, movie posters and promotional items).
    - Original Japanese trailers and TV spots.
    - Features behind the film restoration and English re-dub.
    - Glossary.

The Bottom Line
    AKIRA is one movie you must own in your film collection, whether you're into anime or not.

[​IMG]

2. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

3. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Is this the same DVD from 2 years ago?

4. TriShield

Yes.

5. Xoria

Xoria Keep the change, ya filthy animal.

is it really that good? ive heard its confusing and ill end up having to rewatch it like 50 times

but if i can get a cheap copy off ebay ill get it

6. TriShield

Yes.

I pretty much understood it after two viewings, and you will want to view it again.

7. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

Does anyone else have the metal tin edition?
    :me:

8. Dumpster_chicken

Dumpster_chicken OT Supporter

I actually thought it was a good movie. Very :cool: in every way. I always wanted the DVD but never had the money at the time when I saw it.

9. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

I got the metal tin edition, kickass box

10. iZero

iZero Guest

Akira is overhyped and overrated.

11. jinster

jinster New Member

I actually got to see this in the theaters!!

I was 10 years old and at a film festival back home in Hawaii... I was hooked onto anime ever since.

I also have the Tin box edition, it's pretty spiffy looking amongst all the other paper covers.

They hand painted each dot of light in the buildings :O

12. Xoria

Xoria Keep the change, ya filthy animal.

so i just watched it today

that movie was awesome

ill rewatch it when i actually buy the dvd :o :hs: :bowdown:

13. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

when www.boxtorrents.com comes back up download the whole manga via BT you won't regret it.

the scene where kaneda and his gang confront the clowns in a game of chicken on the highway. in the manga tetsuo is the leader of the clowns and riding that bike, this should show just how different the the movie is compared to the manga

14. Skyre

Skyre Guest

**SPOLERS**

Akira = :overrated:

Seriously, the entire time you think the story is just going to KICK ASS from all the hype, and from the pictures on the front of the box and the synopsis on the back, you'd think it's going to be a badass movie about motorcycle gangs during an apocalyptic future time...however, the entire movie is based around this bullshit science thing with a bunch of genetically enhanced morphed creepy little kids and some organs in a jar...I own the movie and I was disappointed verily.

15. TheEvil1

TheEvil1 Hell is other people OT Supporter

read teh manga, the movie is like 1/3 of the whole story

16. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

17. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

I :love: Akira. Classic anime.

18. twofaze

twofaze H.N.I.C.

:werd:

19. Akira714

Akira714 New Member

The movie was done all by hand, thus entirly 2d graphics. 3D graphics were not really integrated with anime until 1996 with Ghost In The Shell.