A4, E92 335i, G35

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Scottwax, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

2008 Audi A4. The owner bought the car about a week ago and polished it out with a PC. He did a pretty decent job for how hard Audi paint is, but there were still light to moderate spider swirls and a few pig tails from polishing not fully breaking down (or maybe larger abrasive particles). He wanted me to take out the rest of the swirls to take the finish to the next level.

I took a couple before shots but they didn't turn out, sun on white paint was making it hard for my camera to focus. I started with my Meguiars G110 using an orange cutting pad (I believe American Buffing makes it) and Meguiars #105. Seemed to be doing an okay job, but at a slower pace than I wanted. I stepped up to my Dewalt 849 rotary and a yellow Meguiars polishing pad, again with #105. That did the trick. A few areas took several passes to remove the spider swirls and random pig tails (Audi paint is like a ROCK!) at speeds up to 1600 rpm but the majority of the car took one or two polishing passes at 1000-1200 rpms. What amazed me is how well #105 worked without trashing the paint and how few and faint the holograms were. I followed up with 3M Ultrafina Machine Polish (Ultrafina) using a blue Ultrafina pad at 1000-1800-1000 rpms and then sealed with paint with Clearkote's Carnauba Moose.

I was able to get the car 95-98% swirl and defect free, pretty happy with the results with just two polishing steps. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bright afternoon sun is not the best for showing off white paint, so I took a few pictures after the owner pulled it back into the garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

===============

2009 BMW 335 coupe. The owner bought this car a month or so ago. I had been taking care of his black G35 coupe for about 4-5 years so it was a pleasure to work on not black G35 paint. ;)

The paint needed some light claying (mostly the back end) and was pretty much completely swirl free. I polished it with Meguiars #205 via G110 and a yellow Meguiars polishing pad. Did a really nice job adding some pop and depth the finish. I sealed the paint with Optimum Opti-Seal. The owner commented on the added wetness after I applied OS to the back end, said it was very noticable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The BMW had contaced me after making the appointment and asked if I could do a polish and wax on his friend's G35 (which I have done a few times in the past) so I still ended up with black G35 paint to polish. :nervous2:

The G35 really needed some deep polishing but the owner has kind of lost interest in the car and might be getting something else so he just wanted me to add some shine and protection this time. Took quite a bit of claying on the top half of the car, especially the front end. I did the same polishing step as the 335, #205/Meguiars yellow, which actually did a decent job knocking the spider swirls down quite a bit. Really amped up the gloss too. As usual when I detail a black car, I finished it off with Carnauba Moose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Spectacular as always Scott!

3. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

what kind of tire dressing do you use dude? It always looks great.

4. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Dude, all your pics are washed out and over processed. Get a life.

:mamoru:

5. Scottwax

Armor All.

6. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Nice work on all of them. Your eyes ever get that perma squint from working on a white car in direct sun?

7. Scottwax

I usually wear sunglasses when working on white or silver cars in the sun. That E92 was a real bitch when the sun would pop out. :noes:

8. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

why are people using a % swirl removal figure now? It seems rather arbitrary.

9. Scottwax

That is the best I can estimate it. No car is 100% perfect but I got this car pretty damn close.

10. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Now Scott, how many times did those pics get run through PS?;)

Just kidding mang, those cars look fucking GREAT!