GUN A1 vs. A2

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Mar 16, 2005.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Who prefers what? And why? Is the differance in the more adjustable rear sight that important? I realize all things being equal, the price difference between the two is relativly small compared to a gun as a whole. Just curious....again

2. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

A2 rear sight can be adjusted for elevation and windage without requiring a tool of some sort or using the tip of a bullet. easier to dial in a range on it when you do a military zero. i think its worth the extra cost, if there is actually one.

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I think its like a $30 fdifference for the Bushmaster A1 and A2. Although they also sell a knob that fits onto the A1 receiver that turns similar to the A2 style. It's $10

4. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

hmm......

on the A1 sights, is there a flip up larger ghost ring aperture for closer distance of engagement shooting?

5. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

6. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

I like the A1's front stock better. The triangle is easier to grip then the round stock from the A2.

7. oakie

oakie my ninja.

A3. i prefer the removable carry handle and intregrated weaver mount. allows me to keep my cheek firmly planted on the stock when using a scope.

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Yes, A1 sights have a flip-up aperture. The problem I have with A1 sights is that I use that changing aperture. The large and small apertures do NOT, however, have the same zero. When you flip up to the large aperture, your rear sight needs to be adjusted one MOA up, or 4 clicks on a 1/4 MOA rear sight. This is because the center of the rear aperture is not the same height as the center of the small aperture.

Most people will never flip the apertures, so it's not a big deal. Me? My AR is my home defense weapon. When at home, I flip the large aperture up for increased visibility at close range. When I'm at the range, I flip the sight to the small aperture for shooting at distances greater than 50 yards, to get better accuracy. I adjust the zero four clicks up when I use the large aperture. I have a 225-meter zero, so I don't have to move the rear sight otherwise, because I don't shoot past 225 yards. It just so happens that the point of impact is the same at 50 yards as it is at 225 yards with M193.

I'm waiting on LaRue to come out with an A2 version of their rear sight. I talked to Mark LaRue, and he said one was in the works, but he didn't know when.