A wierd hdd problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shifty Capone, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Shifty Capone

Shifty Capone New Member

my friends building a new computer, and his old hard drive that has a wierd ass problem where as soon as u boot up it restarts the computer, was sold to me for 10 bucks.
    I have a 20 friggun gig HD so i figured sure why not u know, i can look at the POS and fix it.
    Well i havent been able to and its bizarre.....i boot up with it connected and it says Unable to find boot disc in selected media device, put the boot disc in the proper device and reboot.
    Me =
    as soon as i unplug it from my ide and reboot my comps fine again so i guess it still has the dumb problem.........

how do i clear it without booting up, or maybe i should make a boot disc and see if it can actually boot up?

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

To format it you will need a boot disc/cd (I recommend Win98).

Sounds like the HD is toast to me - and for a 20GB I wouldn't bother with it.

3. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Check the Jumpers on the drive, it seems like the drive may be blank and when you're plugging it in it is defaulting to be the master drive. So when it tries to boot off of it, it doesn't have anything to work with and gives you that message.