GUN a whole bunch of questions from a CCW noob

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t1h, Apr 17, 2007.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

So I'm getting my concealed carry permit. A month ago I went and got fingerprinted, filled out the paperwork, photographed, etc. So now I'm just waiting to receive it in the mail (they said it can be up to 4 months).

So I guess now I need to start looking around at what to purchase. I'm looking for something that will conceal pretty well, so I'm thinking 9mm. What sort of handguns would you recommend in that caliber? I'd like to get something that is commonly available at any gun store. Also, what should I wear to conceal it. I've heard to get pants with a 2" bigger waist, and get a holder that attaches to my belt loop or something. Can someone fill me in on the details of what I need to buy to conceal it, and would a local gun store sell what I need to carry it concealed? what should I wear to conceal it, baggy shirts? unbuttoned dress shirts?

anything else I should know?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've yet to see a gun shop that stocks decent holsters for CC. As for what gun feel a few out see what you like, ones I would recomend, P99, Glocks, XD's, SIG's, H&K's. Up a size in pants is a good idea, I carry wearing various attire, work I wear khakis or dress pants and dress shirts, casual, jeans and tshirt. My dress shirts are usually pretty loose around the waist area cause I have a big neck :o

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

A lot of what you asked is only going to come from experience. But, generally, 1" larger pants, a 4" larger gun belt, from a quality leathermaker, and a good holster with enough retention to hold the pistol in while shaking it upside down.. should be your ancillary equipment list.

As for the gun, a million different options. But some caveats: A subcompact Glock/Steyr/HK/XD is not the easiest thing to shoot. Most subcompacts take time to shoot well. A compact, read that 4" barrel length, is probably the best compromise for concealability and shootability. So your search is narrowed to a 4" compact, preferably in 9mm. The next step is to get it in your hand and shoot it, to find which fits you best. The one you thought was the best, or looked the best might not be the one that fits you best.

4. t1h

t1h Guest

ok i thought i'd have to change up what shirts i wear since i'll need to wear something that doesn't show that i'm carrying concealed.

my ass is too big, whenever i sit down, the elastic band and a few inches of my boxers show in the back :mad:

5. Werm

Werm Guest

I'd also recomend a compact Vs. subcompact... try out a few guns.

I carry a G23 IWB with 1 size better pants, and long sirts... because I like them better anyways.

6. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Where do you live?

7. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I'd give yourself about an extra 2 inches if you want to carry IWB (in waist band). Thats how I carry.

For a nice 9mm, I'd suggest a glock. They pretty much take the cake as far as reliability goes. I know you want a P38, however I've never seen a P38 IWB holster. You could also look at Bersa's 9mm. Its a very comfortable gun.

However, I would really suggest just going to a gun shop and holding all of them, and get what fits your hand best. Any gun that costs more than $200 is going to be reliable enough for CCW. Just don't get a hi-point and you'll be fine. (not that I'm trashing them, I own one. I just wouldn't trust it with my life.)

Now personally, your going to have to experiment with what size gun you are comfortable with. You may end up trading in what you buy for a smaller or larger model. I used to carry a Taurus .45 every day, and had no problems. One day I noticed the holster would fit my friends airsoft M9. Just for shits and giggles I stuck it in there and walked to the store and back with nothing but a t-shirt on, and had no problems at all.

Now, as far as holsters go, I used to use a Kydex holster. Kydex is a tough plastic and it is molded to the shape of your gun. I personally was unhappy with it, it was too bulky and hurt to wear for long periods of time.

I now use an Uncle Mikes holster, and its much more comfortable (and cheaper).

Here are some pictures I went and took for you:

[​IMG]
    My gun and holster.

[​IMG]
    Gun in holster.

[​IMG]

Me wearing gun and holster. Sorry about the dirty bathroom.

[​IMG]

Finally with a shirt on. You can see its not visible what so ever.
    I carry like this every day with no problem at all.

8. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Your gear and weapon selection are going to be a personal choice. You could listen all day to what works for others and it may not suit you at all. In general an IWB holster is the easiest way to conceal. There are almost as many of this kind of holster to choose from as there are weapons to put in them. Try a few out. Safe bets are Milt Sparks, Alessi, Comp-Tac, and many many more. I use a Sparks watch 6 IWB right behind 3 o'clock on my waist, I wear a galco COP 1.5" gun belt to help support the rig and my two spare mags. I cover all that up with a dark colored loose and long polo shirt. That's what works for me. Might not work worth a shit for you. Give lots of things a try.

9. t1h

t1h Guest

thanks for the pics lugoismad

10. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Again, where are you?

Also. Single-stack pistols (cough cough 1911 cough) are going to be easier to conceal. 'Course I may not be the best source since my permit hasn't arrived yet, nor has my holster.

When my holster arrives you KNOW I'm going to be trying different clothing combos. :o

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Personally, when I get my CCW, I plan on swapping what I carry based on the weather. Sure, a 1911 will be easy when it is the winter in Merced, but the instant spring rolls around, It'll be a J-frame in a pocket :o

12. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

A belt designed to support a holstered pistol would do wonders.

13. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

It works just fine. :hsd:

14. Thunderbear

It works because that Bersa is so light. When, not if, you step up to a bigger carry gun, that belt is going to break.

Between Aker and Crossbreed/Grandfather Oak, there's no reason not to have a decent holster and belt.

Aker B21 @ Copquest 34.xx
    Grandfather Oak Kydex 35.xx

That's about 80 bucks for a more comfortable, more reliable, and more versatile carry setup.

15. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I need to find a good holster belt. :eek3:

16. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

[​IMG]

I carried this in a kydex holster for months with no problems at all.

Only reason I switched to the smaller gun was because I decided that with the .45, in a dark situation, I'd probably only get one or two shots off. I finally got a chance to fire it at night at my moms house, and was totally blinded. Plus the muzzle flip was almost uncontrollable. I couldn't hit shit at distance either. If I shot it at the 100 yard range, I was lucky to hit the berm. With the Bersa, I can accurately hit a person size target at that distance.

17. Thunderbear

You're telling me that you can accurately hit a person with a .380 Bersa, at 100 yards?

And if you shoot and can't see, it's because you're not using a low flash quick burning powder in a short barrel, it doesn't have shit to do with the caliber.

18. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Yes. I'm not going to stroke my e-penis here, but its completely possible.
    The Bersa Thunder has a fixed barrel and is very accurate. All you have to do is lock your elbow, shoot one handed, and it will shoot center of mass at my rifle range.

19. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

It wasn't the caliber, it was the gun. There were other reasons, including the mag release was in a bad spot, it was innacurratel, and painful to shoot. It made the carpal tunnel in my right hand flare up really bad when I put 50 rounds through it.

20. t1h

t1h Guest

what kind of belt do i need to carry a compact 9mm? a cheap leather one from walmart won't work?

21. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Link to that holster lugoismad?

22. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Got it on Cheaper than dirt, its an Uncle Mikes Sidekick size 1. I looked the other day, and they don't seem to carry them anymore.

23. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

For a lightweight 9mm, a normal belt will be fine. Make sure you get a holster with a hook that matches the width of your belt. Mines a 1" belt, and I have a 1" hook.

You don't need some crazy 100$ setup to carry a gun. I've been using this 7.99$ holster for months with no problems, and am alot happier with it than a $40 Kydex holster I used to have. Nig Nogs don't even use holsters, and they seem to shoot plenty of people just fine.

24. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Check out the M&Pc in 9mm. I just held one at a Gander Mountain and my lord did it feel nice.

25. Furner

Furner New Member

If any of your want to buy into the uncle mikes shitty holster, go ahead, but dont expect too much. I would never use one, the retention is based ONLY on your belt tension. Which means that the gun will pop out if you move wrong. If you want the gun to stay in, you will have to tighten the shit out of your belt, and that stresses your belt, hinders your draw, and hurts like hell.

Get a good belt, a good holster, and be better off for it. Those Uncle Mikes holsters like the one shown in the above post are soft all the way down, and if you sit, bend, twist, your gun can pop out. I dont know about you, but my gun falling out of my pants is not an option.