A way to send a notification

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by psujeeperman02, Jul 7, 2008.

1. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Ok, im going to try to explain this best i can.

we have an HVAC unit in our server room which monitors the temperature. If the temp goes about a certain degree, it will send an email to my inbox through Exchange 03.

Now, the email alert is great when im in the office, but if it's on the weekend and i dont check my email, id never get notifiied.

i tried forwarding the email to my cell phone, but my provider charged me $200 for these types of messages.

Is there a way that i can create some sort of app that will automatically call my cell phone in the event that i get an email from the server like this?

does anyone know of a program out there that will do this?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I think you need to relook at the cell phone. Pretty much all carriers allow you to send a message to [email protected] as an email message for a very low price (actually I think you just need texting available).

Or join the 21st century and get a smart phone (BB, iPhone, etc...) that handles emails natively.

I used the first option for years without it costing mega bucks, so I'm not sure what the problem would be.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

how many alerts are you getting? i'm going to assume that you were forwarding the alerts to your phone as sms messages. i know most providers charge around $.20 per sms, so you would've had to have 1000 alerts to hit $200. also, most providers will give you the option for unlimited sms messages for a set price each month.

overall, if this is the only system you are alerting on, then using sms messaging with unlimited messages will probably be your cheapest and least complex solution.

to go with an automated system for dialing you, you're going to need a machine, probably dedicated. it is going to need an analog line connected to make outgoing calls. you'll have to have some software that'll actually do the calling with the text to speech translation built in.

we had something at my last job, but the software turned out to be a nightmare so i'd never recommend it.

4. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

the cheapest way to go is the sms text message option

get a text plan, or just use the pay per text options, 20 cents per message or whatever your carrier charges

use your phone to send a text message to your email address, whatever the address that was sent from is your phone's email address, or use this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway

or you can get a smartphone and set up push email, but thats probably more expensive as you will need a data plan

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

do you happen to have any 24/7 people at your company? if you have any operations team or network monitoring team, maybe you can have the emails routed to them off hours and they can call you.

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada