A way of speeding up my start up?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Anyone know of a way to tune up my MBP so that the start up isn't as long and drawn out as it seems to be now? When I first bought the thing, it would star up and shut down in seconds. Now it's minutes. I'm looking at things that I can do to cut down some of that time.

Also, anyone know how to remove aps from the menu bar on the top right?

2. skolen

skolen Guest

Don't keep files on the deskop. OSX treats them as Finder windows and causes them to use more memory than usual. I keep a downloads folder on my desktop and have everything set to save there.

Usually right-clicking the Menu icon or going to that programs Preferences will let you remove it or disable it from starting up alltogether. If you don't use Bluetooth at all you can disable that so it doesn't constantly search for devices and save you some battery.

Under the Login Prefpane you can see what's set to start up under your user account. Remove what you don't need or didn't know about. Also, special startup items like USB Overdrive, ClearDock, Lil Snitch & the like will also add to the boot time.

Also, try running the Repair Permissions off the boot DVD to help fix any issues it can't fix while logged in.

3. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

sometimes its good to "Rebuild" your desktop. you do that by restarting and holding down the Command key the whole time.

4. dooks88

dooks88 need some bat wings

good info

5. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

Details? I reboot my PRAM from time to time but I haven't heard of this...what will it do? :noes:

By the way, to reboot PRAM simply reboot and hold down Apple + Option + P + R until you hear 2 or 3 bootup chimes. After that, let it continue to boot normally.

6. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

fuck using you disc, just get applejack and run it every few weeks.

7. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

i have not done this in a while, so i dont remember if it's an OS X feature (ill test it out in just a minute) but in the classic days, this is what it did:
    i'll update when i try it out

8. skolen

skolen Guest

Not all permissions can be fixed while logged in.

9. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

it does it before osx boots. startup while holding Apple S or whatever and the applejack text menu pops up.